Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Rolls Out New Version Of Their In-Kernel Boot Splash Screen

Phoronix: SUSE Rolls Out New Version Of Their In-Kernel Boot Splash Screen

Back in October I wrote about SUSE working on a new, in-kernel bootsplash project. That work has yet to be mainlined but it looks like it's still on track for going upstream in the future with the latest version now being released that addresses issues uncovered during review...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

will be used by manjaro too

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Kernel developers should the dev_info function instead of dev_err, then messages do not disturb boot. I made patches for removing stupid acpi and pci errors.
      seriously? Since when is it useful to post kernel patches into a forum?

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        alternative to the user-space Plytmouth and other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Kernel developers should the dev_info function instead of dev_err, then messages do not disturb boot. I made patches for removing stupid acpi and pci errors.
          debianxfce should the patch to upstream kernel mailing list instead of Phoronix forums, then messages do not disturb unrelated people.

Comment

Eagerly awaiting for this on Tumbleweed. Good to see that SUSE is still fighting the good battle.

Comment

We hope it will be soon introduced! When I install Linux, it's the first thing they ask me, "why those messages?" on the last kernels the thing is even worse, boot errors unimportant but annoying. Good work openSUSE!

Comment

I hope to see this in fedora soon. Plymouth is unreliable
                Last edited by expectATIon; 14 December 2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Sounds nice for a Linux desktop but a pain for servers remote administration: pure vga is more efficiente than vesa fb.

Comment

Originally posted by cyring View Post
                    Sounds nice for a Linux desktop but a pain for servers remote administration: pure vga is more efficiente than vesa fb.
                    No offence, but why would you enable a boot splash that silences boot output on a server (or headless system)?

I personally like to see all text scrolling by when my stuff is booting because I can spot issues that way, and a sysadmin should probably prefer to do the same for the same reasons. I'm also a "sysadmin" to some extent but I rarely manage linux servers, or servers that are running on actual server hardware in a remote location, for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X