Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Continues Refining Their Pop!_OS

Phoronix: System76 Continues Refining Their Pop!_OS

Besides working on disabling ME in all their laptops, the System76 team has also been busy working on their new Ubuntu-derived Pop!_OS operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks nice. It reminds me the theme of the LineageOS I'm using on my tablet.
    Currently, I'm running it on a VM and it's a bit early to get promoted from VM to real HW, but it looks promising.

Comment

For those who said things along the lines of 'Oh no, not another distro...', from the blog :

Upstream is a key part of the work we do

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
        If they were competitive with other Clevo rebranders I'd buy an Oryx Pro with GeForce 1060. When the price difference is $1000 (Prostar or Sager) vs $1500 though...

Sager NP7850 (Clevo N850HP6) is assembled with the latest high end technology in a thin laptop body. Equipped with an Intel i7 CPU and 16GB of DDR4 memory the NP7850 delivers top performance for the most demanding and complex video games,

I have an Oryx Pro, the GTX 980m version. From my understanding, it's not just a rebrand, they also have some work done on the bios level. I know that because they at first shipped a unit with the wrong bios then I contacted support about issues and they said something like "it seems you don't have the right bios flashed", and they shipped me a new unit that didn't have the issues I was having (can't remember what the issues really were, it's been a while). In other words, I'm not sure you'll get the same experience if you go with Sager or Prostar. Also, when I bought the machine it was still more expensive than a Sager but the difference wasn't as big as 500$. Double check, maybe there are differences you didn't notice. For instance, it seems both of the links you posted are for systems with a max ram of 32gb, compared to the 64gb of the Oryx Pro. Also, you won't get a disabled ME with Sager or Prostar AFAIK; that by itself is worth some price difference.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
          As a Linux guy though, I'm used to doing things myself.
          In other words, you can and want to spend time on fixing DSDT tables?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            It's fun not only fix DSDT tables, but all the ACPI tables

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              That's fun for the whole family.

I re-sell instantly a laptop with severe DSDT tables issues (since I buy used stuff I can do that with limited loss), and I did just that for my last laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                I have an Oryx Pro, the GTX 980m version. From my understanding, it's not just a rebrand, they also have some work done on the bios level.
                Most likely it was an ACPI table issue in the "stock" UEFI firmware (the one from Clevo) that they fixed in their own UEFI firmware.

ACPI is a standardized description of the local hardware devices provided by the board firmware to the Linux kernel (or Windows or MacOS), issues in these tables mean you might not be able to adjust brightness or "Fn" buttons don't work, or some hardware features (usually powersaving states or hybernation) won't be available, or the whole damn thing won't boot at all as the GPU driver panics the kernel.

An example of some guy hacking around a very bad case of acpi/dsdt issues http://www.mikejonesey.co.uk/linux/hp-envy-15-ah150sa

So yeah, if System76 guarantees that their ACPI is clean for Linux, that's a significant added value right there.

Comment

slightly off topic - can ME be disabled on Thinkpads? I've got a couple of them, a T440 and a T450....

Comment

Guys, I think you missed the most important news here:
                    The work on HiDPI nears completion. [...] When this work is complete, you will be able to have smooth experience with multiple monitors of different resolutions and have it do the right thing. [Build together] a great experience that just works!
                    And they should normally upstream all that (if the X devs accept the patch).

Comment

Working...
                    X