Which Linux Distribution Boots The Fastest? An 11-Way Linux Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nll_a
    But does Neon do anything interesting about booting over their Ubuntu 16.04 base? I'm thinking it does not but I'm not sure.
    It does, for the userspace

Edit: hint
    Code:
    systemd-analyze time
    Startup finished in 3.572s (kernel) + 10.542s (userspace) = 14.114s
    Last edited by bug77; 26 November 2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Solus shows GRUB for quite a few seconds, yet it's among the fastest in all results (I can also vouch for that personally). So boot loader time isn't the problem here.
      The problem is, the test methodology isn't consistent. As some NUC systems boot in 5 seconds, one second here and there has a huge effect on the overall result. Of course Phoronix isn't real peer reviewed science, but the results are useless if some configuration issues increase the boot time 50% compared to some other system.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
        What package is that program in? It's not available on my system as it is, and there aren't any packages that sound like it would be in there …
        Uh...
        Code:
        /usr/bin/systemd-analyze is owned by systemd 235.38-2

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

GDM is slower indeed.

Also, if the DE should be the same out-of-the-box, then Clear Linux needs to be expelled next time 'cause technically it doesn't have any DE by default.
          Huh? Since when is OOTB a disadvantage?

Comment

Just to get an idea, how many of you use EFISTUB ?

Comment

Originally posted by sweetsuicide View Post
              Just to get an idea, how many of you use EFISTUB ?
              https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB
              Not safe with custom kernels. If a new one won't boot, you might need physical access to the cmos jumper since of course you'd also use the hyper fast uefi boot mode, which makes it impossible to boot alternative kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgaro View Post
                Arch Linux, Gentoo and Void can do better! ...systemd is a virus!
                Gentoo + system D here...
                works so much faster than Gentoo + OpenRC. A magnitude faster.

And yes, systemD is shittly documented cancer. But it does most of i need to do.
                if only I could find how i can run a custom bash file at start up. Anyone? 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by oldgaro View Post
                  Arch Linux, Gentoo and Void can do better! ...systemd is a virus!
                  Anything that doesn't use systemd can do better... (speed wise)

Comment

The point is that DE/WM doesn't matter, this is testing distros in stock configuration and comparing them. Yes, you can cut down Ubuntu or any other distro to the point when it doesn't even have a WM, spins up 2 deamons after boot and does it all in less than a second after discouting grub (or you can remove grub entirely and boot directly to kernel via EFISTUB). That is not the point here.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                      if only I could find how i can run a custom bash file at start up. Anyone? 8-)
                      As a gentoo user you should be already aware of this "init=" thingy on kernels commandline (might have to use rootfs arguments too to get your boot/root drive mounted). Other than that, you can spin your own initrd environment, build it into kernel and then just chroot your main tree after the setup is done.
                      This can serve as an inspiration (it does focus on TPM encrypted setup but after removing bunch of unused crap you are left with barebones initramfs setup).
                      TMP/LUKS enabled linux initramfs. Contribute to tpruzina/tpm-luks-initramfs development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                      X