Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Might End Up Redoing The System Sounds

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Might End Up Redoing The System Sounds

The latest in the development of the "Bionic Beaver" is that new system sounds might come to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Silence please. No unnecessary sound effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      Silence please. No unnecessary sound effects.
      Yeah, they're annoying. The Ubuntu ones (e.g. the login drum beat) are also wacky and stupid.

Comment

That would be my choice...

Comment

I personally don't use them. I wouldn't want to see Ubuntu devs spend a lot of time on this in the bionic dev cycle with the transition to Gnome/Wayland still ongoing. If volunteers step up, that would be good.

Comment

I currently likes the current ones

Comment

fuck system sounds in general.

Comment

I very much dislike all the wasted efforts on themes, background graphics, sounds etc. It's not really contributing anything to the things that are most broken with open source desktops. Besides, the graphics looks bad. Last time I took a look at XFCE backgrounds, the image resolutions were weak. Nowadays, any camera phone or compact camera produces better images. Still, I'm most annoyed with some fine details with each Ubuntu version. They just have this urge to change all the margins, paddings, border colors, just a little bit. Why? You've done over 20 releases already. How is it so hard to stick with one consistent style?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  I very much dislike all the wasted efforts on themes, background graphics, sounds etc. It's not really contributing anything to the things that are most broken with open source desktops. Besides, the graphics looks bad. Last time I took a look at XFCE backgrounds, the image resolutions were weak. Nowadays, any camera phone or compact camera produces better images. Still, I'm most annoyed with some fine details with each Ubuntu version. They just have this urge to change all the margins, paddings, border colors, just a little bit. Why? You've done over 20 releases already. How is it so hard to stick with one consistent style?
                  Amen to this. As I have said numerous times on this forum: Graphics preferences should be set per application on the system level. e.g. the applications should be designed to follow a simple standard. If people want purple buttons, insane border padding, lots of wasted screen space, the tiniest fonts, transparent borders, flexible close buttons etc it should all be possible to do that per. application or globally if you want.

Toolkits should cooperate and focus on a STANDARD design so it would not matter if you use GTK, QT or whatever, they should all look the same BY DEFAULT. How distros choose to configure them by default would of course be up to them. We need a unified graphics design so people interested in themes , graphics and so forth can do whatever they want without having to re-do everything for a gazillion different toolkits. We need something like systemg(raphics) so things can be done in ONE CONSISTENT WAY!

As for Buttcuntu why people even bother to configure different default sounds is beyond my understanding. Let people pick their own sounds. If they want to fart in their cellphone or burp in their microphone it is up to each individual to create something UNIQUE like things used to be. These days everyone just go with the flow, and by going with the flow I mean that nobody have the guts to configure something and instead accepts the (insane) defaults.

If I want a theme I want that to work regardless of the toolkit and regardless if it's 10 years from now. If newer themes require a update to some core components - no problem. The way things are now it is a mess and nobody bother to create a uniform theme / style for tons of toolkits!

AAAAAARGH!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I like the old Ubuntu login/startup sound. I wish they'd bring it back.

Comment

Working...
                    X