Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slax Is Planning A Return, But Will No Longer Be Slackware-Based

Phoronix: Slax Is Planning A Return, But Will No Longer Be Slackware-Based

Longtime Linux users will likely recall the Slax distribution from back in the day that was Slackware-based, shipped with KDE, and offered a pretty nice live OS experience while being highly modular and made it easy to re-spin derivatives. Now it's coming back in new form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad they went Debian, I would have preferred something Fedora / RedHat based.

Comment

Cool. I think unique, "experimental" distros like this are good, even if they do contribute to the "fragmentation problem".

Comment

It’s a live os. So it doesn't contribute to “fragmentation” one bit.
        I think they need to go xfce for a live os. Or just stick with KDE.

Comment

Stable? Testing? Unstable?

Comment

Downloading files on every boot must be good for the server bandwidth..

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              It’s a live os. So it doesn't contribute to “fragmentation” one bit.
              I think they need to go xfce for a live os. Or just stick with KDE.
              Is it live only?

I thought it was like Knoppix. Mainly live, but installable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Downloading files on every boot must be good for the server bandwidth..
                It's only the installer. Never done a PXE boot installation I take it?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

It's only the installer. Never done a PXE boot installation I take it?
                  Slax is a live-cd, so I don't think you install it.

Comment

Slax might just be the first distro I booted from a USB drive, and successfully too. I like the combination of fluxbox+xlunch+compton+chromium+debian/ubuntu packages with a good persistence layer: https://www.slax.org/blog/18623-Persistent-changes.html

Comment

Working...
                    X