Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

+1

I have no idea either why they're debating kernel versions either. HWE always changes it, and that's a good thing.
    HWE is something that you do have to install with your intiative (or perhaps wipe your system with Ubuntu x.y.2, x.y.3). Haven't used Ubuntu's "official" updater GUI much at all though (using either Mint instead, or command line on Debian and Ubuntu proper).
    A conservative user might decide to not use HWE at all (can be done installing Mint x.0 or perhaps x.1 and uprading to further point releases if you want them). A very conservative user might wait for Ubuntu 18.04.1 as that's the point release without HWE.

Can go with LTS with no HWE for Luddite points, do all kernel security updates for upgrade treadmill points, and perhaps desktop environment packages in ppa or Mint x.n+1 upgrades for desktop currentness points.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

Why? Unless you're running 3rd party modules I don't see the harm in running a newer version, but there is potential for upside.
      So according to you, the Lts versions do not serve anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

So according to you, the Lts versions do not serve anything!
        I'm saying there are very few cases where they do. Ubuntu now steers away from LTS kernels somewhat in the LTS distributions with the HWE kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

I'm saying there are very few cases where they do. Ubuntu now steers away from LTS kernels somewhat in the LTS distributions with the HWE kernels.
          The Lts kernel is usually used by Lts and Enterprise distributions, this is because it guarantees stability and avoids possible breaks with new kernels.

Comment

The Lts kernel is usually used by Lts and Enterprise distributions, this is because it guarantees stability and avoids possible breaks with new kernels.
            How does it guarantee stability? All bug fixes just have to be backported for the old version as well, so unless you're doing live patching you'll have to reboot. There is a reason Torvalds goes insane when a Kernel developer breaks userland even in the RC versions.

Comment

I am also looking forward to actually being able to get temperature sensors on my threadripper cpu. I have been wanting to play with some overclocks for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                A desktop oriented distro would choose 4.15 or even 4.16. A server oriented distro would choose 4.14 because it has LTS. Is Ubuntu desktop or server oriented? Is it both? Or neither one?
                I understand that the 4.15 kernel for the desktop user is better, but Ubuntu is also used in the business environment where getting a Lts kernel is definitely the best choice.
                Canonical is insane and google understand it when change the client's at home from Ubuntu to Debian.
                Change your OS to Debian, If you like more stability and security.

Comment

Working...
                X