No announcement yet.

How Ubuntu Laptop Performance Has Evolved Over Three Years From 14.10 To 17.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Ubuntu Laptop Performance Has Evolved Over Three Years From 14.10 To 17.10

Phoronix: How Ubuntu Laptop Performance Has Evolved Over Three Years From 14.10 To 17.10

With the upcoming release of Ubuntu 17.10, I was curious to see how its performance compares to that of the three-year-old Ubuntu 14.10. Here are some benchmark results showing how an Intel ultrabook/laptop performance has evolved on Linux during that time.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fwiw, longer compile times do not automatically mean there's a regression. Sometimes they simply try more optimizations.

Comment

So essientially Mesa has been improving a lot, ext4 has seen some slight performance improvements and compile times has increased very slightly?

Would love to see a similar test with a older distro on sandybridge hardware

Comment

I would love the see the benchmark on Sandy Bridge since I use a laptop that has that architecture. Thank you for your great work!

Comment

Could we please also see some numbers about boot time, battery usage... (like, starting with the full battery, how much was left after watching a movie...)

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
            Could we please also see some numbers about boot time, battery usage... (like, starting with the full battery, how much was left after watching a movie...)
            Here's recent boot times comparison from 16.04 to 17.04. Yeah it would be nice to have 17.10 in there too.

Battery use is a good point for the broadwell hardware, not so sure about the SNB though... even if SNB has VAAPI support I doubt it improves the battery life at all. My old i5-3210M uses equal wattage with VAAPI and CPU decoding at 1080p. The CPU is 92% idle with VAAPI, but the fan is noisier, and both give me 4.5h, meanwhile my C720 chromebook with Haswell 2955u gives 7h with 1/3 the battery capacity...

Last edited by linuxgeex; 03 October 2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Yeah I think the interesting thing here is to check for battery life from 14 to 17. Did this improve at all?

Comment

These are kinda significant gains, wonder where the biggest performance increases come from? Atleast in the gaming benches improved drivers could have an impact

Comment

I wonder why Lame MP3 encoding changed so much, since it should mainly be CPU bound? Is it that it was built with newer GCC which made better use of the CPU, or, the OS was built with higher GCC optimisation levels?

Comment

Lot's of improvements, seeing i965 Mesa did go from 3.3 to 4.5, i wonder what happened to soft fp64 support for r600? It seems to be done but not merged from what I saw (about 6 months inactivity).

Comment

Working...
                    X