Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Final Beta Is Ready For Testing

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Final Beta Is Ready For Testing

Overnight the final beta of Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" was released for Ubuntu proper and its derivative friends...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, where is the Ubuntu derivative which keeps Unity? Or should I pick that in the login screen I guess?

Comment

Still ships with the bugged glibc which prevents Feral games from working.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
        So, where is the Ubuntu derivative which keeps Unity? Or should I pick that in the login screen I guess?
        As far as I know, there's no such flavor of Ubuntu, but you can download Unity from the repos after installing, and then select Unity at the login screen.

Comment

Just took a look in a VM for the first time, It looks suprisingly like the old Ubuntu Unity, I had imagined it to be more of an copy of the Ubuntu Gnome distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
            Just took a look in a VM for the first time, It looks suprisingly like the old Ubuntu Unity, I had imagined it to be more of an copy of the Ubuntu Gnome distro.
            You can make it resemble upstream GNOME with 'sudo apt install gnome-session' and then selecting GNOME instead of Ubuntu at the login screen. It also opens up for more customization, as the Ubuntu session locks things down. For example, it doesn't allow you to disable the dock, but the GNOME-session does.

I upgraded from Ubuntu-GNOME, so the gnome-session was already selected as default for me, but for fresh installs, or for those coming from Unity, the ubuntu-session will be default.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
              Still ships with the bugged glibc which prevents Feral games from working.
              That's not surprise for me. On what Debian version is it based on?

Comment

I have not had time to install Fedora on my Kaby Lake laptop, I'm keen to see if https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/l...3.0-12-generic cashes as much as Ubuntu's 4.10.0-X and Mainline's 4.11.X on Ubuntu 17.04.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                  Yeah, from the screenshots and videos I saw on it, it did seem that Ambiance theme really needs update, at least that was my impression. However, once I've installed it in VM, I was like "Hm, this doesn't look so bad as i tought". What I do dislike and what is probably big mistake by Ubuntu developers is that they excluded standard extensions from defaults (like User themes, Application menu, Alternatetab etc.), now, for some of those it is fine to exclude, but not including "user themes" extension by default is huge mistake IMHO, Gnome-Shell theme requires that extension in order to be changed, and at least that should be included by default (and probably Alternatetab).

Comment

I'm trying the beta. I have a weird love/hate thing with Ubuntu. Fedora can do a lot of what I want but Ubuntu is like that first relationship that got away and you still want.

Comment

Working...
                    X