Ubuntu 17.10 Continues Refining Its GNOME Shell Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
    I liked unity, and hate gnome, but this looks okay. I hope they continue to theme away as much of the gnome experience as possible.
    It's not just about theming.
    It's about getting the same workflow, the same experience, the same hundreds of small benefits that Unity had over Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

That won't happen. Why? Because a lot of Ubuntu innovations are now destined for GNOME upstream and shared with a broader audience. GNOME is Ubuntu. Ubuntu is GNOME.
      Do you have nothing better to do with your time? Such a waste of a life.

Comment

Staying on-topic and discussing Ubuntu is not a waste of time. You should try to stay on-topic as well. It is quite rewarding.

Do you have any opinion on how easy it was for Ubuntu to just come up with a Ubuntu session, go Wayland and upstream as much as possible?
        What would you know about staying on topic?
        Last edited by danielnez1; 27 August 2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Do you have any opinion on how easy it was for Ubuntu to just come up with a Ubuntu session, go Wayland and upstream as much as possible?
          Some other distros "went Wayland" months ago already. And there's a lot of extensions for Gnome out there, I'm sure there's distros out there that provide some of them out-of-the-box.

So my opinion on "it was easy for Ubuntu to do something that was just as easy for several other distros"? Big whoop.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
            I liked unity, and hate gnome, but this looks okay. I hope they continue to theme away as much of the gnome experience as possible.
            Why is this tread dominated by people that have never used Unity or superficially? I could care less about the theme. My wallpaper is black and I leave most things default.

What Unity users care about is that it works like Unity, not how it looks. I have muscle memory for many of the Unity shortcuts. Whenever I'm on a Gnome machine, I feel like I have one hand tied behind my back. Beyond the workflow, unity is so much better on laptops because it uses screen real estate so efficiently.

Comment

Dear Wayland and GNOME haters, rev up your engines. Remote desktop is ready on Wayland/GNOME. And yes it is a implementation unique to GNOME, and yes none of the alternative compositor developers reached out or provided anything usefull before GNOME solved the problem.
              Still, no screen sharing...

Comment

And yes it is a implementation unique to GNOME,
                And you're presenting this as a good thing?

That's exactly the problem! Of both Wayland and Gnome! Doing private solutions, instead of writing a spec for the protocol, getting it approved by others, and only *then* implementing the functionality, based on the spec. *That* is how windowing system development should work. Or, at least, prototyping the functionality in their compositor, but once it's reasonably done, start speccing it, and then adjust their prototype according to the feedback to the spec.

So, where's Gnome's spec proposal?

That's how KDE did it - they wrote a spec for their SSD protocol. So that Sway could implement a compatible solution. But you cheering Gnome doing their own thing and screw others? It's ridiculous. It's not cheer-worthy, quite the opposite.
                Last edited by Gusar; 30 August 2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

And that is the problem, it doesn't solve the problem, it just make people shut up
                  It does solve real problems. Just ask all the mpv users who complain about mpv not having window borders on Gnome/Wayland.

Oh and if someone want to change how it works they need to put their money where their mouth is. Thats right, they need to keep up with RH and smart guys like adahl.
                  On a scale of 1 to 10, the arrogance of this statement is like 1000.

Or we can just settle with the real world; Wayland and private protocols will dominate from now on. Thus the alternative desktops will need to do Work(tm) instead of whining.
                  When Canonical does their own thing, they get blasted for it. Blasted hard. But with RedHat and Gnome, private protocols are supposedly ok, and any word against it is "whining"? Yeah, no.

Comment

Canonical is NOT doing their own thing anymore. They realized GNOME would be the new upstream if Wayland became standard so they had fight about it. Just like the init wars, Canonical can accept defeat and will "lose gracefully". Look how they rebounded on sytemd and now GNOME/Wayland. Perfect adaptation and happy upstream collaboration.
                    Nice spin.

Arrogance is when you can't accept defeat.
                    Dafuq? So DEs other than Gnome have been "defeated"? Huh??

You being arrogant to the extreme is you being arrogant to the extreme, it has nothing to do with someone apparently "losing". You know, it's funny how you say others should "do Work(tm)", because... how much work have you actually done? And no, being a forum shill is not "work".

Like the devuan guys and now all the Wayland haters. Sorry but you are worse than Canonical ever where.
                    Yeah, no.

I'm no Wayland hater. It's just that things need to be done properly. Or do you honestly believe every Wayland compositor being its own isolated island disconnected from the rest of the community, with DE-independent applications needing special code for each separate compositor they want to support, is the way forward? You said Canonical is now not doing its own thing anymore, you're applauding them for their new "upstream collaboration". Any yet, at the same time you're applauding Gnome for being how Canonical used to be - playing in their own island, detached from the rest. And that Gnome has somehow "won", "defeated others" by doing that. How does your brain reconcile this discrepancy?

Comment

Gusar. You have to let go of the narratives that don't apply to the Wayland world. That includes common protocols and a lot of shared APIs. There you have it.
                      So you do believe every compositor should be its own island detached from the rest. Well, that's just plain stupid, then. There you have it.

Such fragmentation, nothing being compatible with anything else, serves absolutely no one.

If you want collaboration then show the code, show the specs, show the APIs.
                      Why don't you apply that to yourself? KDE *did* show the specs. For SSD. Where's Gnome showing specs for screen sharing?

And please keep ridiculous dependencies out of the picture.
                      LOL, that's a rich one. You're advocating applications needing to link to a big toolkit just to draw friggin borders, but at the same time *you* are the one speaking against "ridiculous dependencies". Hilarious.

The alternative compositors are in no position to make demands or throw a tantrum.
                      This isn't about "making demands". It's about working together. You say "you want collaboration then show the code", but how can that work when such showing of code (like the SSD spec) is considered "making demands" by you? Makes absolutely no sense. You can't keep your own trolling consistent, there's discrepancies and double standards everywhere.

Also, as I figured, you have no explanation how you reconcile the discrepancy that you applaud Canonical for changing how they operated, but at the same time applaud Gnome for operating how Canonical used to. If Canonical's previous mode of operation was bad, then Gnome's current one is equally bad. Explain how that's not the case. Explain how Canonical being their own detached island was bad, but Gnome being their own detached island is good.
                      Last edited by Gusar; 30 August 2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X