Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Announces Pop!_OS Linux Distribution, To Be Shipped On Their Future PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpriced junk clevo laptops with a lot of marketing bullshit piled on top.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
      Overpriced junk clevo laptops with a lot of marketing bullshit piled on top.
      At least they install Ubuntu and make sure it works. Plus, you get to configure the laptop which is something very few manufacturers allow these days.
      Don't like the price? Don't buy. Just don't lash at the guys trying to service a niche market.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
        I will say it first: Very Very stupid move. We dont need ANOTHER new linux distro THATS SUPER BORING with same UI, same apps, same methods, but still "has its own ui theme and icons" . Holy Shit this is becoming so stupid. In that announcement there werent even any reasons why, or what they want to achieve, they just use those modern trendy words like focus on creators, 3d, ai, yes wow, I can do all that shit on any distro. You got nothing to offer thats SPECIAL.

BTW that wallpaper reminds me so very hard about the national flag of kazahstan... omg
        Not sure why you didn't complain about the wallpaper before 'cause that wallpaper has been part of the default System76 default wallpaper set for years.

Comment

My God not another fork of Ubuntu, and this one also has an utterly idiotic name, why not System76OS, 76OS, OS76 or SystemOS76? My guess is that this will not be a true distribution, more like Ubuntu with customized Gnome.

Comment

I'm sure basing on Ubuntu gives them advantages. But Canonical maintains a fair few out-of-upstream patches which makes Ubuntu deviate from other distros, which might put this at odds with being focused on devs. I know if I were developing (which in fact I am), I'd like to have standardised tools at my disposal and not a distro specific version of something.

Mind you, I don't know how far Canonical's changes go, I know they did it for GTK to make Unity work, and that's obviously less of an issue now so maybe I'm talking nonsense.

I agree the name sucks though. When will FOSS devs grow up? Naming a release beefy miracle is fun, naming your product GIMP, DNF or Pop!_OS is just dumb.

Comment

If they just focus on supporting their hardware well out of the box and fix all the hardware related issues that'll be good enough.

Comment

Terrible idea, even more terrible name.

Comment

Retarded. But, at least the color scheme is pretty nice. I wouldn't mind getting it for KDE/Plasma and Kate. It doesn't really POP!_though. (Needs to be brighter with more contrast for that.)

Comment

Yest another Linux distribution, Why would I buy a Linux PC now that Windows 10 can run Ubuntu ?.

Comment

Go System76!

Comment

Working...
                      X