Debian GNU/Linux 8.8 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

It does mean, if you use the stretch repository, only release critical bugs fix are allowed and not much to update, while testing gets packages from unstable as usual.

What distribution you are using as you are so Debian testing expert? I have used Debian testing for 3 years now.
    it does not mean anything. I am using debian for 15 years and I dont like your tone to other people. Who told you that you are the best debian testing expert in the world?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      I heard Debian finally got their kernel updated to version 2.2 and has Firefox 4.0. Amazing!
      hehehe
      Last edited by fedora-user; 07 May 2017, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
        How sweet! A new bundle of outdated software.
        Debian + server = yes.
        Debian + workstation = if I have to compile soft by myself then gentoo is way better.
        Try Linux Mint Debian (based on stable but with some applications updated by their repository) and/or enable backport repository.

Or move your workstation to OpenSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
          How sweet! A new bundle of outdated software.
          It is outdated as Windows 10, so i dunno why most people use 10 still but not Windows 11

Last edited by dungeon; 07 May 2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            It is outdated as Windows 10, so i dunno why most people use 10 still but not Windows 11
            Win10 is a rolling release atm. They might change this when the "receives functionality updates" time is up and they begin preparing win11, but for now Win10 is pretty current.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Let's start the Stallman controversy again!
              Debian GNU/Linux is named this way because it also supports other kernels. Debian GNU/kfreebsd is actually a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                Debian GNU/Linux is named this way because it also supports other kernels. Debian GNU/kfreebsd is actually a thing.
                More than Debian GNU/Hurd, anyway. I didn't see much impetus in the freebsd variant, it's back to unofficial port, same as Hurd one.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Because you can install/upgrade Software without break other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogging101 View Post

Older releases are more well-tested, which, for some use cases, is more important than new features. Fortunately this is Linux and you're not forced to use a specific distro
                    Well this is exactly why I wrote:
                    "Debian + server = yes.
                    Debian + workstation = if I have to compile soft by myself then gentoo is way better."

I'm familiar with debian family. Yet I consider Red Hat based distros a better solution. You don't have to move to totally different environment as Red Hat/Fedora(Korora)/QubesOS/CentOS/Scientific/(whatever_else_you _want) are based on exactly same principles/sources.
                    Yet Fedora works pretty well and have almost latest software available. Current linux 4.11 in fedora 4.10.13, blender which I use 4.78c. Just look what version of blender you have in Ubuntu or in backports.
                    So as I wrote it's good as a stable solution for server but not for workstation if you need latest 'revolutions' - blender - and you don't want to tinker with compilation etc.
                    But thx to everyone for good advices. I'm already on Linux for over a decade now.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Let's start the Stallman controversy again!
                      I think it should be Linux/GNU as GNU couldn't run without Linux. So, it is to you Stallman: Shut up already.
                      I can pick proprietary drivers any day if they are way better than opened ones.
                      The distro that doesn't give you chance to choose between open source/proprietary doesn't give you freedom anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X