No announcement yet.

Devuan 1.0 RC2 Released: Systemd-Free Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the punch card driver coming along?

Comment

Devuan, not just free of systemd, but users too!

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
        Devuan, not just free of systemd, but users too!
        ... said Bill Gates to RMS 40ish years ago

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

... said Bill Gates to RMS 40ish years ago
          And thus ended up with Gates being one of the richest men in the world, while RMS sits around eating the things he finds under his toenails.

Regardless, a more sensible comparison would be between Torvalds and RMS, considering Hurd is free of users too!

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
            thanks for the heads up, about the venerable Devuan Distro making even more progress.
            Definitions of "venerable" are mostly along the lines of commanding respect, usually due to great age. An odd description for a distro that's less than three years old... Debian is certainly venerable, but Devuan falls a little short on that count...

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              why not write news about 100 other Debian derivatives that have more users and developers than Devuan?
              Because that wouldn't generate so many comments...

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                but I still haven't worked out what binary logs that might need a proprietary reader software, can be good for.
                Scenario 1: A third party (whether that's an actual black hat in flesh or just an automated script) logs into your system, steals and/or deletes some data, then removes every trace of ever having been there.

Scenario 2: Sysadmin completely screws up. Panicking, he remembers all server logs are simple text files. He goes in there and removes all traces of his screw-up. His superior blames the trainee instead.

Nothing proprietary about it, btw. Feel free to write an alternative implementation.

Comment

The whole "init freedom" talk somehow reminds me of 2nd Amendment "protectors" in the US.
                  People so enamoured with nonsensical pseudo-freedoms, they completely ignore all the actual freedoms taken from them behind their back.

Can't run either GNOME, KDE or Cinnamon. But hey! At least you won't have to read the word "systemd" every time your system boots.
                  Progress! Freedumb!!

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    Scenario 1 & 2... (log manipulation)
                    And one can't do that with binary logs? All digital data can be manipulated, no matter if it is some "binary" form or plain ASCII or compressed ASCII in UTF-* encoding oder something else.

PS: I do run my systems on Gentoo without systemD currently and e.g. KDE5 is working fine. *BSD does not have systemD to my knowledge and somehow they also have DEs over there.
                    And I do care about civil rights and show engagement for them.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                      And one can't do that with binary logs?
                      AFAIK journald logs are chain-hashed so you can't do that. Sure you can delete everything, but that's kind of obvious.

Securing in a similar way text files is not possible without stuffing them in some other file (i.e. turning them into binaries).

Also, obligatory mention that "plain text" is technically binary file too, you need a reader program, even a simple hex editor to see what is that.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 June 2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X