Ubuntu 17.10 Release Schedule Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fabiohl View Post
    Michael beat you to it (look at the time of your and his post)
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Fair enough. One question though: Mark said that he wanted to bring the full, stock GNOME experience. But how can he bring a stock GNOME experience without GDM? 'Cause GDM is part of stock GNOME...
      No one in their right mind will swallow the hole GNOME pill. Would you ditch Firefox for Epiphany?

Everyone was talking about if Canonical would "Unityify" GNOME with stuff like possibility to always show the launcher, global menu, using Mir and such.
      Obviously Mark was talking about not doing that kind of things and not that they would use every single app, daemon, service and design choice of GNOME.
      I would be very surprised if Ubuntu did not ship with the Ambiance or new Ambiance-like theme for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Fair enough. One question though: Mark said that he wanted to bring the full, stock GNOME experience. But how can he bring a stock GNOME experience without GDM? 'Cause GDM is part of stock GNOME...
        What he meant was not doing significant patching like there is now with Unity. They are still discussing adding extensions by default to make the experience more Unity-like, which is definitely not a stock Gnome experience. Then there will obviously be Ubuntu-specific branding too, and maybe some patching to retain certain features in programs like Nautilus. Depends on what the users want.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

No one in their right mind will swallow the hole GNOME pill. Would you ditch Firefox for Epiphany?
          Yes. I've been using Web (which is the new name of Epiphany, keep up with the times bro!) for a few years now, it's getting better and better, esp. now with the 3.24 release it received a lot of attention, with new features and lots of fixes and even experimental Firefox Sync support. I do keep Vivaldi and QupZilla as alternative browsers though but I mostly use Web. So yes, I've already ditched Firefox for Web years ago.

Comment

Working...
          X