Valve & Microsoft Are Among The Sponsors For Debian's DebConf 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wargames View Post

They don't have to support any new CPUs. Ryzen CPUs already work in Windows 7 (and better than in Windows 10), but since they want you to use Windows 10 whether you like it or not, they now detect if you have a Ryzen CPU and disable Windows Update stating you have an incompatible CPU. What a joke, as I said they can shove their new shiny toy up their asses.
    It is not about Ryzen only, here is the january 2016. info from windows blog:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...on-innovation/

But it is laughable really, they even supports specific Skylake till July 17, 2017. on Windows 7/8.1 and suddenly updates will stop working

From one side POV i really like that, because people otherwise tend to use unsupported OS without knowing that support isn't there anymore also some people need to realise how that extended support isn't actually meant for everybody

Literally it is shorter but very same for Debain Stable, 3 years of support (or better say 2+1). In addition of course there are another plus 2 years of LTS or extended support but that also isn't for everybody, so it is 5 years but don't count on it. Of course anybody can continue to use it, there is no restriction but it isn't meant for everybody.

Of course you can even continue to use Debian Stable after these 5+ years, the same way as people use unsupported Windows Xp No one recommends doing that, but if you don't have or don't care about security issues who can stop you - use it forever if you want
    Last edited by dungeon; 20 March 2017, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
      Microsoft Azure instances, and Debian running on Windows 10 in their Linux sandbox mode.
      You can also run real .NET (beyond Mono) on Linux now. They also released a watered down VS in their (free) Code product. It seems like they legitimately want people to be able to develop for their platform from a Linux box.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
        You can also run real .NET (beyond Mono) on Linux now. They also released a watered down VS in their (free) Code product. It seems like they legitimately want people to be able to develop for their platform from a Linux box.
        I tried their "Studio Code" — I had to make some really simple modifications to a studio project, and I suddenly thought: why should I run a VirtualBox with Win7, when there's a version of Studio for GNU/Linux? Guess what: Visual Studio Code doesn't even support opening .sln (VS project) files. I.e. it actually opens them, but as a text file.

Visual Studio Code is nothing more than another text editor. And comparing to a standard KDE's Kate (i.e. I don't even mention anything more complex, like gvim or emacs), VSC even lags behind. There's no reason to ever use it.

Comment

I guess Microsoft is sponsoring DebConf since Debian is the base for Ubuntu which they partner with in the cloud where they are offering Ubuntu on Azure.

Steam sponsoring DebConf because Debian is the base for SteamOS which they pursue over their fears that Microsoft is sweeping in to take on Steam with Windows Store.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            I think Microsoft just likes conferences, started sponsoring it when DebConf was first time in Africa back in 2016. and in 2018. it will be first time in Asia - there is huge market potentional for both linux and opensource in these parts of the world.

Big companies likes when you talk to and spreading things in a whole world like an virus
            Even if computers become mroe common because of cheap Linux, it would create a market for microsoft. Its still a teech industry. Quiet clever of them actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              I tried their "Studio Code" — I had to make some really simple modifications to a studio project, and I suddenly thought: why should I run a VirtualBox with Win7, when there's a version of Studio for GNU/Linux? Guess what: Visual Studio Code doesn't even support opening .sln (VS project) files. I.e. it actually opens them, but as a text file.

Visual Studio Code is nothing more than another text editor. And comparing to a standard KDE's Kate (i.e. I don't even mention anything more complex, like gvim or emacs), VSC even lags behind. There's no reason to ever use it.
              It's more useful for .NET core (what would have been 5.0) and it seems to be the direction they are moving in. As a whole the platform isn't nearly as mature as the 4.x series, but it seems to be a start.

Comment

Working...
              X