6-Way Linux Distribution Comparison On AMD's Ryzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post
    These are bleeding-edge kernel days - for example, the latest 'stable' kernel was released today (4.10.3), only 3 days after the prior release. The new kernel has several AMD patches. It's not surprising in the modern compute era that the, all things being equal, the distros keeping up with kernel changes (and Mesa, LLVM, etc.) will win in the end. Of course, all things are not equal, and differences in what-switches-are-enabled-at-compile-and-what-optional-patches-are-applied, and other optimizations are not to be discounted. But still, all things equal, latest and greatest is best for performance.

One of the advantages of running AMD with RadeonSI is that one can install the latest kernels at will, without much fear of borking their system, because the open source drivers just 'tend to work' w/o much fuss. I know this is a layman's post and very the opposite of technical, but still I think valid, esp. for the AMD gamer looking for optimal performance.

I've run every kernel on Kubuntu since 4.9.0 without an issue.

Technically they are testing kernels, but not bleeding edge. Bleeders would use 4.11-rc2. Testing kernels are in-line to become stable kernels.

I totally agree about the free driver use. There are just no cases where you have to worry about the kernel driver really messing up. That said, I just plugged in my old MSI GSI GS70 to happily discover that the nouveau/intel drivers now OOTB allow DP both mini-DP connectors to work at the same time, so that Kepler/MUX/Intel work has really paid off.

Are you using an ubuntu kernel or a vanilla kernel? The nice thing about getting away from Ubuntu is being able to run non-ubuntu patched kernels with less concern.

Comment

AND?

I realise its about comparing linii , but at least a hint please as to how ryzen coped. Did it do well?

Comment

Is it possible to redo the comparisons, given the newer updated CPUs and mother boards? At the time of writing, the bios or AMD interface code was not tuned to anywhere where it is today.

Comment

Working...
        X