No announcement yet.

Clear Linux's Latest Performance-Optimizing Effort: Greater PHP Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly wouldn't mind a server oriented distro ala Debian, but with all of these aggressive compiler flags/optimizations from Clear Linux.
    Maybe even taking it a step further and having multiple builds of packages for specific CPUs, to eek out just that little bit of extra performance that the individual CPUs are capable of in each new generation.

But that would be an assload of work :\

Comment

Originally posted by Karbowiak View Post
      I honestly wouldn't mind a server oriented distro ala Debian, but with all of these aggressive compiler flags/optimizations from Clear Linux.
      Maybe even taking it a step further and having multiple builds of packages for specific CPUs, to eek out just that little bit of extra performance that the individual CPUs are capable of in each new generation.

But that would be an assload of work :\
      Gentoo does let you use binary packages.

Comment

"such as using the CPUFreq scaling driver over P-State"

when did this happen? everything I have ever read in regards to intel hardware has said the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Why would anybody incorporate PHP into their distro is beyond me.
          Maybe because because Linux is not developed for normal users, but rather for programmers, web developers
          And maybe because Linux doesn't have an offline installer for programs like Windows so you can easily install PHP without internet.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

What should be done, according to you? (Honestly being curious here.)
            some of it is simple; the packager can use PGO as part of the build process in the package.

some distros make it easy to do that in their automation (Clear Linux, Solus) others it's a bit of cut-and-paste boilerplate, but in either case it's not hard.

Comment

Working...
            X