Alpine Linux 3.5 Ships With ZFS Root File-System Support, Switches To LibreSSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Expectations View Post

zfs is licensed under CDDL, which is considered a free software license by the FSF.
    The controversy is that it's not compatible with GPL. Though my personal opinion is that open source software licenses that restrict the way I use my computer are only better than proprietary software that restricts the way I can use my computer because we can, to some degree, just ignore the GPL violation and just do what we want.

As for the Busybox thing, I have nothing against Busybox but I've never seen a reason to use it on a PC and personally I don't see the need to have a lot of the utilities built into the shell. Not trying to say anyone's wrong for preferring Busybox, though I don't think any of the posts above are convincing as far as using it (maybe they weren't intended to be, which is fine too). I do understand that it was mentioned since Michael wrote that Alpine uses it.
    Last edited by Holograph; 23 December 2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
      I don't see the need to have a lot of the utilities built into the shell.
      Busybox isn't a shell, it is a multi-call binary meant to replace GNU utils with something tiny. The shell in busybox is only one of the "apps" it can provide and you can do without it if you sho choose with compile options.

Comment

Working...
      X