Fedora 25 Is Quite Possibly My Most Favorite Release Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjwhaynes View Post

In what way does GNOME feel "dumbed down"? I use Fedora 24 with GNOME plus seven extensions (one of which I wrote) and it feels fast, responsive and most importantly to me, it stays out of my way.
    Gnome out the of box definitely feels "dumbed" down, but yes the extensions make it much more usable. Dash to dock and Top Icons Plus are a must for me.

Also gnome tweak tool is great too

Comment

It is smooth like nothing else for me BUT about two weeks ago Wayland stopped working. When I login using the GNOME options which is using Wayland my computer logs in to the X11 version. I have tried get help on freenode and bugzilla but maybe they have too much to do considering it is getting close to release. I guess I will have to reinstall it when the final version is here.

Comment

Hey Michael,

Small typo, you have "here" instead of "hear".

Comment

In what way does GNOME feel "dumbed down"? I use Fedora 24 with GNOME plus seven extensions (one of which I wrote) and it feels fast, responsive and most importantly to me, it stays out of my way.
          Just out of curiosity what extensions do you use? I've wanted to get more into Gnome, but but it feels a bit foreign to me.

Comment

Cool that you wrote an extension.

But isn't it a little irritating to have a desktop that requires so much tweaking to fit your workflow? I generally want something that operates the way I like when every setting is default, so that if I have to reinstall Linux or move to another machine there's no extra work.

GNOME 3 is beautiful (edit: and when I used it, totally stable). But I use Elementary OS and not-nearly-as-pretty MATE because with either I just install and it's automatically configured the way I want.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              Everything just feels hidden away, best case I can give you is creating a new file or a folder in Gnome Files. I had to google how to do it lol. Every sane desktop in 2016 has a right-click cntext menu but gnome Nope, fuck that.
              Huh? It has a right-click context menu, and the first item is "New Folder", the second is "New Document".

If your problem wasn't with the "New Folder" item but rather the "New Documents" sub-menu not including the file type you wanted, that sounds like a distro issue not a GNOME issues.

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              I am also not a fan of the blowout taskbar.
              Meh, personal taste. I like it, but you could always install the "Applications Menu" extension, which is part of Classic Mode.

Comment

Originally posted by amp3030 View Post
                For example, do all GTK+ apps run under Wayland natively?
                apps without x11 deps do

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix38 View Post
                  It is smooth like nothing else for me BUT about two weeks ago Wayland stopped working. When I login using the GNOME options which is using Wayland my computer logs in to the X11 version. I have tried get help on freenode and bugzilla but maybe they have too much to do considering it is getting close to release. I guess I will have to reinstall it when the final version is here.
                  See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1375247

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix38 View Post
                    There are actually some intentional, automatic fallbacks from Wayland to X11. The two I know about are:

1) If you use the proprietary NVIDIA driver, we should fall back to X automatically (I believe)
                    2) If you have a hybrid graphics laptop with outputs (i.e. DVI / HDMI / DisplayPort / etc ports) connected to more than one adapter, we fall back to X automatically so all the outputs will work

Does either of those sound like your case?

Comment

Originally posted by nemequ View Post
                      Huh? It has a right-click context menu, and the first item is "New Folder", the second is "New Document".
                      I'm used to use the shortcut for that (Ctrl+Shift+N), but I noticed that the items only appear in icon mode because you can select a white area, but in list mode (and with enough files) you don't have these items in the contextual menu.

Comment

Working...
                      X