X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Palmer
    replied
    Originally posted by rubdos View Post
    "Windows Subsystem for Linux.", shouldn't that be "Linux Subsystem for Windows."? Or am I thinking weirdly now?
    Quite right.

Dropped apostrophe?

Windows' Ubuntu/GNU subsystem

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I also work with C# and I think it is amazing. So much better than any other language out there.
    C++ is so shit, Linus won't even allow it in the Linux kernel.
    Aside of "wtf moments" I mentioned, C++ is better of C#. Its type system is better than C#, also C# almost never (as opposed to C++) can derive generic/template types, forcing you type them yourself. And — I never thought I'd say that, but — macros. I know, in C++ they frowned upon, but there indeed times when you create too much boilerplate code, which you can't split to a function, you need macros.

The only C++ problem (whether it's a problem depends on one's point of view), aside of those wtf moments, compared to C#, is manual memory handling. But, as someone who coded much in both languages, I can actually say that this is not wholly true. First, you can use just fine copy-contructors, creating the same code as C#. Second, C++ allows to create local object by just declaring it; in C# you have to not forget "new" keyword, or will get runtime exception. Third: I am almost hear your arguments about "delete/new" in C++, but nah, 90% of code you can write just fine without a single usage of them. Forth: one word: "destructors". Damn C# destructors! D:

And in which one of languages has "manual memory management" after all? =)

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Haskell wont ever be used by anyone outside of academia, its just weird.
    Don't say that. I do agree it's not that widely used, but it's because Haskell requires absolutely different mindset; an experienced programmer upon meeting Haskell would feel like they learn to program again, which is a bad feeling. So peoples mostly just give up on this. But upon get used to, Haskell is the prettiest language of those I know. It is very expressive, and so much easier to understanding. One advantage over "c-like syntax" is unambiguity of braces, when I use LINQ in C#, I miss it very much.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    What does Powershell have over Bash?
    Ability to run PowerShell scripts on Linux.
    It can use the whole .NET Framework as an API.
    It is radically different. Not just another shell. It is object-oriented instead of text-oriented.

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    And honestly, I quite like that GNU/Linux didn't use .net. I Happen to work quite much with C#, and I don't think it worth it. Bad debugging experience (watchpoints not supported by design, plus even official Microsoft debugger in studio missing many features of plain old gdb), awful GUI Framework (starting with native bugs: Ctrl+BS doesn't delete a word, scroll doesn't work even within a window, unless you don't forget to make a code for that; and ending with Mono ones, like that Mono crashes, or NumericUpDown.Value occasionally returns zero, when it isn't), bigger binary sizes.

I do understand though both that C# easier to learn than C++ (and not because of syntax, but mainly because of bigger number of "wtf moments", when something doesn't work, and you don't know why), but let's be more literate. There's Rust, making memory management so easier, there's Haskell with GC (which, though, have own obstacles, but eve just knowing it improves coding style so much!).
    I also work with C# and I think it is amazing. So much better than any other language out there.
    C++ is so shit, Linus won't even allow it in the Linux kernel.
    Haskell wont ever be used by anyone outside of academia, its just weird.
    Faster to code in than C++. More robust than Python because static typing. Saner than Java.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    is more ubuntu running in windows nt but ok
    You can replace ubuntu with every other linux distribution.

Well, we've already had Cygwin (mandatory whenever I had to develop on Windows), but maybe this will be cleaner...
    It is cleaner and cygwin is not the same. For Cygwin you has to recompile everything and its not working in each case. WSL gives you a complete Linux Userspace with Linux binarys. No recompile or other changes needed.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    once bash on windows will run as fast as on linux, it will make things very interesting. Many devs wont need to have a linux partition just for this, and that will be great for their productivity
    Well, we've already had Cygwin (mandatory whenever I had to develop on Windows), but maybe this will be cleaner...

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Does the shell still run on top of the clunky Windows command prompt with its lack of keyboard shortcuts and transient command history?

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied
    once bash on windows will run as fast as on linux, it will make things very interesting. Many devs wont need to have a linux partition just for this, and that will be great for their productivity

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    "Windows Subsystem for Linux.", shouldn't that be "Linux Subsystem for Windows."? Or am I thinking weirdly now?
    is more ubuntu running in windows nt but ok

Leave a comment:

• rubdos
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Technically, Linux is running on top of Windows, making Windows the lower (sub) level. But hey, what's in a name?
    Fancy thing is, no Linux code is running at all there, making it basically GNU for Windows, or even UNIX/POSIX for Windows... But hey, what's in a name!?

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Technically, Linux is running on top of Windows, making Windows the lower (sub) level. But hey, what's in a name?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X