Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Will Very Soon Have GCC 6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Will Very Soon Have GCC 6

    Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Will Very Soon Have GCC 6

    OpenSUSE's Tumbleweed rolling-release distribution will soon join the likes of Fedora 24 and Clear Linux as being an early adopter of the new GCC 6...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d-GCC6-Inbound

  • #2
    Finally got around to re-installing openSUSE for my main usage; the switch to GCC 6 should be a fun time

    Comment


    • #3
      Arch went GCC 6 long while back, Gentoo as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by linuxforall View Post
        long while.
        I'm sure reading this post must seem like an eternity.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by linuxforall View Post
          Arch went GCC 6 long while back, Gentoo as well.
          It's not officially in Gentoo Portage yet

          Comment


          • #6
            Arch and Gentoo use GCC 6 As the default compiler? I'd find that surprising, there is no news about that on the Arch website and it would require a mass rebuild..the last news I read on this topic was still talking about moving the last bits over to GCC 5

            meanwhile the main news here is that GCC 6 is now Tumbleweeds default compiler, with the whole distro built with it

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sysrich View Post
              Arch and Gentoo use GCC 6 As the default compiler? I'd find that surprising, there is no news about that on the Arch website and it would require a mass rebuild..the last news I read on this topic was still talking about moving the last bits over to GCC 5

              meanwhile the main news here is that GCC 6 is now Tumbleweeds default compiler, with the whole distro built with it
              Yes GCC 6 is the default on Arch, and has been for a while.
              I ended having to port some OSS emulator-related stuff that didn't compile with it.
              It seemed smoother than the GCC 5 update though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by linuxforall View Post
                Arch went GCC 6 long while back, Gentoo as well.
                GCC 6 is not ever on Gentoo Portage tree yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by alexcortes View Post

                  GCC 6 is not ever on Gentoo Portage tree yet.
                  Damn, I never expected Arch to get it so much faster than Gentoo.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Gentoo is pretty conservative with its compiler upgrades, the goal always being to build the world with it.
                    GCC 5 : https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=gcc-5

                    GCC 6 : https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=gcc-6

                    It baffles me how arch is able to bump gcc versions so fast.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X