KDE Neon User Edition 5.6 Is Released So You Can Easily Experience Plasma 5.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
    I also think Kubuntu should get together with these guys and combine resources...would make the ultimate KDE distro IMHO.
    The folks making Neon are Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

I guess there are PPAs where you can pull their stuff (on a 16.04 base)? I use KDE on my Ubuntu system at work, and I'd like to try this …
      I did just that and it worked. Though if you look at Neon's FAQ this is really not supported. I had backports PPA enabled and initially installing neon-desktop failed. After that I did a full upgrade and then installed neon-desktop+full-upgrade again and it was all fine. From the quick testing I got, the only thing that broke was the wallpaper on my secondary monitor.

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      Too bad they don't have repositories for Debian yet. Wasn't that part of the original plan?
      It's still part of the plan, but there are numerous steps to be taken before that happens. They did the setup of the continuous delivery first, move from the original Kubuntu 15..10 to 16.04, then they worked on moving KDE to Qt 5.6 (they had to patch Qt while at it). Everything they have released so far was developer-oriented. This is their first user-oriented one. I'm not sure work on supporting any other distro has even started yet. Though Debian will probably the first supported when that happens.

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
      Considering Kubuntu has pretty much given Jonathan the finger, I don't think that carries much weight today.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
        That is fun, because I have been (more or less) disappointed with all Kubuntu versions so far and this one is near perfect.

So WP floks @ Kubuntu, I like it even more than Opensuse

Comment

ram usage?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            ram usage?
            Yes, it does use RAM.

Comment

ram usage?
              just after the login
              neon@neon:~$ free -h
              total used free shared buff/cache available
              Mem: 3.8G 344M 2.6G 121M 820M 3.3G
              Swap: 2.0G 0B 2.0G

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                just after the login
                neon@neon:~$ free -h
                total used free shared buff/cache available
                Mem: 3.8G 344M 2.6G 121M 820M 3.3G
                Swap: 2.0G 0B 2.0G
                Thanks.
                Wow, that's actually pretty low for kde. Can't wait for that to hit Opensuse Tumbleweed. I'm somewhere in the
                used: 650 mb
                range currently, which isn't terrible, but it's still a bit too much imho.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Yes, it does use RAM.
                here, take a cookie.

Comment

Thanks.
                  I'm somewhere in the used: 650 mb.
                  I think that will be the case with "real" distros which are loading some other apps. My experience with KDE showed somwhere 450-500Mb after login... Don't hesitate and try this neon build on your usb flash drive and see how fast it is. I had the feeling of using some minimalist DE

Comment

here, take a cookie.
                    Well, your question was pointless. Neon currently has next to no apps installed by default so any figure I would come up with is not comparable to anything else. And worrying about RAM usage is usually an exercise in futility. It's been discussed before (right here on Phoronix): all DEs use about 500MB and a couple of spartan ones use even less. If some DE would magically stated using 0kB, you'd barely notice.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, your question was pointless. Neon currently has next to no apps installed by default so any figure I would come up with is not comparable to anything else. And worrying about RAM usage is usually an exercise in futility. It's been discussed before (right here on Phoronix): all DEs use about 500MB and a couple of spartan ones use even less. If some DE would magically stated using 0kB, you'd barely notice.
                      You are right, in general a few tab is now 1GB so the DE ram usage is quite irrelevant.

Still usefull to know for old hardware anyway. Made my tests on a 6 years old 2GB laptop and it is blazzing fast and smooth (especially compared to Ubuntu or Opensuse). Those guys made an awesome optimization job.

Comment

Working...
                      X