H.264 Support Finally Comes To Fedora Via Cisco's OpenH264

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
    The binary is built using our Koij build infrastructure so you get all the same features you get with any other Fedora software, like verifiable checksums etc.
    Shouldn't the binary be directly downloaded from Cisco otherwise the patent license Cisco got from the MPEG LA is not valid? I remember this was the (strange) legality of this deal, otherwise the patent on H.264 is fundamentally made free (which I guess is not the case).

Comment

Originally posted by amp3030 View Post

Shouldn't the binary be directly downloaded from Cisco otherwise the patent license Cisco got from the MPEG LA is not valid? I remember this was the (strange) legality of this deal, otherwise the patent on H.264 is fundamentally made free (which I guess is not the case).
      Fedora uses the source to build in Koji and provides the binaries to Cisco which makes them available. It is all explained in the linked blog post

Lately we have been working with the Workstation Working Group to setup the ability to build and make available a legal h.264 codec for fedora. Cisco has made available a patent grant for the codec…

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        And as an ENcoder, it would be better to skip h264 in favor of things that are actually free. The only use for h264 is in consumption.
        Weird statement. How would you consume something if it is not created?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Fedora uses the source to build in Koji and provides the binaries to Cisco which makes them available. It is all explained in the linked blog post

Lately we have been working with the Workstation Working Group to setup the ability to build and make available a legal h.264 codec for fedora. Cisco has made available a patent grant for the codec…
          Wow cool. Does this mean that the problem with Firefox is also solved and Mozilla can download for example your compiled binary from wherever it is available?

And just to be clear: Did Cisco made an extra flexibility on its stance than when it originally announced the deal with Mozilla, or everybody could do this from the beginning?

Thank you very much for your insight!

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
            very nice question. you wouldn't. so by not creating h264 you wouldn't make poor us people suffer from it. create vpx

Comment

Originally posted by chilek View Post
              Isn't is simpler to activate rpmfusion repo and then install x264? Less letters to type and more functional H.264 support! ;-)
              Yeah, when it works (afaik Rawhide is broken or at least was for months, and considering F23's support was delayed a while, I wonder about F24 even)

Comment

Originally posted by amp3030 View Post

Wow cool. Does this mean that the problem with Firefox is also solved and Mozilla can download for example your compiled binary from wherever it is available?

And just to be clear: Did Cisco made an extra flexibility on its stance than when it originally announced the deal with Mozilla, or everybody could do this from the beginning?

Thank you very much for your insight!
                We did a special deal with Cisco to have them host this in RPM for us. Also we will make sure it works for Firefox, but I can't say if it does right now or not.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                  When you watch Netflix, did you compress the video streams yourself? If your answer is NO, then this answers your question more relevantly than you asked it.

Are YOU distributing h264 videos that you DID compress? If the answer is yes, then SHAME ON YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Err no, it certainly can. It has already been approved by Fedora legal. FYI, you are quoting a page written by me back to me. That page is not the official legal policy. It has this prominent warning on top

"This information is provided only for answering common questions from Fedora users and should not be read as legal advice"
                    Fair enough, then what is the "official" legal policy?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                      Yeah, when it works (afaik Rawhide is broken or at least was for months, and considering F23's support was delayed a while, I wonder about F24 even)
                      F23 support is still not really official and everything is in "updates-testing". Also there is no rpmfusion support for RHEL/ Centos 7 yet.
                      Seems like rpmfusion is dying together with the suitability for normal home use of Fedora and Centos.

Comment

Working...
                      X