LibreELEC 7.0 Released For A Kodi 16.1 Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

That's good, thank you. In other news, I've forked the Linux kernel today. I have named the fork Penix. I can't tell you what the difference is, but Penix sounds like something you'd be intensely interested in, so there you go.
    dont you understand the word libre? Maybe I am wrong, but normaly it means that they deblob everything so you dont risk loosing a part of your freedom when you use it. like they did with libre-linux.

You maybe think having some more features with blobs and some blackbox that you cant change/look into it, and has some maybe hidden anti-features, and can be stopped getting updated at some point, so that you are forced to use very old version of the related software forever (like what happend to older matrox-gpus as example) is more freedom to you. thats were people have different oppinions about, but I am a end-user too, and it means something to me, so your point that this means nothing to the end user is proven wrong.

to be more concrete there will be most likely no nvidia version or a amd version with the blob from amd. its like organic food, its a standart a security of a certain quality.

Comment

*ELEC have got most likely the most blobs possible installed because DVB adapters should work out of the box - more than you can find in Ubuntu. That was certainly no reason to change the name.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

dont you understand the word libre? Maybe I am wrong, but normaly it means that they deblob everything so you dont risk loosing a part of your freedom when you use it. like they did with libre-linux.

You maybe think having some more features with blobs and some blackbox that you cant change/look into it, and has some maybe hidden anti-features, and can be stopped getting updated at some point, so that you are forced to use very old version of the related software forever (like what happend to older matrox-gpus as example) is more freedom to you. thats were people have different oppinions about, but I am a end-user too, and it means something to me, so your point that this means nothing to the end user is proven wrong.

to be more concrete there will be most likely no nvidia version or a amd version with the blob from amd. its like organic food, its a standart a security of a certain quality.
        Libre nowadays means that the authors are more Apache/BSD/MIT fanboys and dislike GPL (especially version 3). They've also learnt that Open can be closed because corporations take advantage of open source, without contributing back. Libre is basically the same as Open, but the brand management is better. Better security, better version control systems, more professional attitude, but apache/bsd/mit license, if possible. You want to please all users, especially commercial 3rd parties, because that's professional. GPL is seen as a legacy license from the 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Libre nowadays means that the authors are more Apache/BSD/MIT fanboys and dislike GPL (especially version 3). They've also learnt that Open can be closed because corporations take advantage of open source, without contributing back. Libre is basically the same as Open, but the brand management is better. Better security, better version control systems, more professional attitude, but apache/bsd/mit license, if possible. You want to please all users, especially commercial 3rd parties, because that's professional. GPL is seen as a legacy license from the 1980s.
          sorry thats bullshit, the only project that is true is libressl, no other libre-fork or rewrite or whatever that is popular choose to use bsd like lisense from a gpl software, for a fork it would not even possibre but for a rewrite it would. so libreoffice is a mix of mpl and gpl3+ and lgpl3+ it seems they startet to replace or add stuff under the gpl lisense while openoffice is 100% apache lisense (thats what wikipedia tells me).

Libreelec will not change much lisenses, maybbe some parts but most linux distries are a mix of both lisenses, maybe they change more and more stuff to gpl, but shurly not the other way around, cause you can just take bsd code and make a gpl fork the other way around is not allowed, so you have to replace them.

Also they remove any versions with propriatary drivers, so they dont advertise evil propriatary software.

Another example is LibreWRT or now LibreCMC, that replaced the normal linux kernel with many blobs with the libre-linux kernel, somebody that belives in the viewpoint of freedom of bsd, would never care about not advertising/including blobs.

I happy to hear except LibreSSL other examples where people called a fork/rewrite libre and released it not under GPL?

Of course the word libre is not copyrighted, so everybbody can release whatever they want with that as part of their name, but tradistional, and also lately in most cases libre named projects are related to the GNU/rms view of freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

sorry thats bullshit, the only project that is true is libressl, no other libre-fork or rewrite or whatever that is popular choose to use bsd like lisense from a gpl software, for a fork it would not even possibre but for a rewrite it would. so libreoffice is a mix of mpl and gpl3+ and lgpl3+ it seems they startet to replace or add stuff under the gpl lisense while openoffice is 100% apache lisense (thats what wikipedia tells me).

Libreelec will not change much lisenses, maybbe some parts but most linux distries are a mix of both lisenses, maybe they change more and more stuff to gpl, but shurly not the other way around, cause you can just take bsd code and make a gpl fork the other way around is not allowed, so you have to replace them.

Also they remove any versions with propriatary drivers, so they dont advertise evil propriatary software.

Another example is LibreWRT or now LibreCMC, that replaced the normal linux kernel with many blobs with the libre-linux kernel, somebody that belives in the viewpoint of freedom of bsd, would never care about not advertising/including blobs.

I happy to hear except LibreSSL other examples where people called a fork/rewrite libre and released it not under GPL?

Of course the word libre is not copyrighted, so everybbody can release whatever they want with that as part of their name, but tradistional, and also lately in most cases libre named projects are related to the GNU/rms view of freedom.
            I forgot LibreOffice was dual licensed. I had libreoffice, libressl, libreswan, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProjectLibre in mind. According to https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/libreswan it's quad-licensed, but maybe it's not.

Comment

Working...
            X