Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I will let others discover the little annoying bugs of launch this time... waiting for 16.04.1
    From experience, how long might it take? A couple of weeks? I dont really know, I am contemplating installing this, or maybe wait for the code to mature...

Comment

I'm having trouble getting KMS working with a Radeon HD 5770. I have to boot with `nomodeset` passed to the kernel. I have been wanting to try out the `radeon` drivers again since Catalyst isn't going to be supported... but this has been a big stumbling block. Anyone else with a pre-GCN Radeon have a working Ubuntu 16.04 with KMS/radeon? Else, if you're in the same boat, I filed a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1568429

Comment

does AMDGPU PRO driver work on this? The beta driver?

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
          I'm having trouble getting KMS working with a Radeon HD 5770. I have to boot with `nomodeset` passed to the kernel. I have been wanting to try out the `radeon` drivers again since Catalyst isn't going to be supported... but this has been a big stumbling block. Anyone else with a pre-GCN Radeon have a working Ubuntu 16.04 with KMS/radeon? Else, if you're in the same boat, I filed a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1568429
          Works absolutely fine for me with a HD 6310.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
            From experience, how long might it take? A couple of weeks? I dont really know, I am contemplating installing this, or maybe wait for the code to mature...
            6 month exactly and the popup will come, but smalls annoying bugs are generally all fixed in 1~2 months max.

So for a fresh install I would always stick to the last LTS (16.04) and for an upgrade, if you do not need a precise stuff, just wait a little.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post

You can run do-release-upgrade -d to skip the waiting periode.
              How, where to do that? Thanks
              Is there a way to clean out unused software to get HD space?

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post

How, where to do that? Thanks
                Is there a way to clean out unused software to get HD space?
                From a terminal:
                sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Also, if you just have a ton of old packages lying around, you can do the following before starting the upgrade:
                sudo apt-get autoclean
                OR
                sudo apt-get clean

'autoclean' will delete the ".deb" files in /var/cache/apt/archives for software which is NOT the current version.
                'clean' will delete all of the .deb files in that directory.

Beyond that, it's a matter of removing old kernels that have been superceeded (and always make sure to keep at least 1 known good kernel installed), finding programs that you don't actually use and removing them (I usually use synaptic to do package management, although I know that's somewhat deprecated by canonical at this point).

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
                  Why do you have radeon.modeset=0? With that, your logs are pointless there.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Why do you have radeon.modeset=0? With that, your logs are pointless there.

That is unfortunate. I didn't realize the log gatherer only got a log that had that. The problem is I can't boot to a prompt at all without modeset=0. I'll see if I can boot with modeset, fail, then gather its log on a subsequent boot.

Comment

I've been running the pre-release of ubuntu gnome 16.04 for a few months now. I really like it, it's been solid and the desktop is extremely snappy with the intel graphics.

A long time openvz fan, I've been having a look at lxc and lxd containers, which work well except for container migration. Live migration of privileged containers, at least, had been observed working briefly on kernel 4.4.0-15, and migration of stopped containers naturally worked as well. But live migration broke starting with 4.4.0-16, and now even migration of stopped containers is broken - an attempt to move a container from one lxd host to another hangs indefinitely.

Fortunately I've got openvz 7 containers running on Centos 7 for the important stuff, and that is all rock solid and functional. One hopes that lxd container migration will get fixed in ubuntu 16.04 at some point. I'd love to see more options in this area.

Comment

Working...
                      X