KDE Neon Releases User Edition Tech Preview, Based On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
    when we've been told again and again that bug fixes in Qt 5.6 and 5.7 are going to fix many of our issues with KDE software.
    That is a classical KDE:
    Blame all others and " just use the new Version it fixes all Bugs"

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post

That is a classical KDE:
      Blame all others and " just use the new Version it fixes all Bugs"
      Don't think so. KDE is a huge project which uses Qt so extensively and deeply that it is very likely to get a situation where you encounter a bug from it.
      And anyway KDE is an open project and anyone can contribute and if you think that there is a bug which has nothing to do with Qt then you are free to fix it.
      Regards.

Comment

For me, at least, the biggest draw back of KDE is the fact that Dolphin won't allow something trivial live playing a video in a network share directly on VLC...
        Something i've never had a problem with in Gnome...
        If you fail at the most trivial stuff, you fail, period...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
          For me, at least, the biggest draw back of KDE is the fact that Dolphin won't allow something trivial live playing a video in a network share directly on VLC...
          Playing video from the network directly into a given player (whatever "directly" means in this case), doesn't seem like "the most trivial stuff". But maybe it's just me.
          Fwiw, as much as I like KDE, I've never got the hang of Dolphin. It's decent, but for me it's Krusader all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            I play videos with VLC via network (both SMB and NFS) with KDE, no prob. But maybe you are using "smb:/" protocol and I mount them ?

BTW if what you said is trivial stuff, explain me why F3 (split in commander mode) does not work anymore since Ubuntu 14.04.
            This war far more important...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Playing video from the network directly into a given player (whatever "directly" means in this case), doesn't seem like "the most trivial stuff". But maybe it's just me.
              Fwiw, as much as I like KDE, I've never got the hang of Dolphin. It's decent, but for me it's Krusader all the way.
              It is as trivial as enter any directory with terminal. The problem is the bad KIO usage in dolphin, which is very-very annoying. E.g. if you click on smb/mtp/whatever-alike directory, dolphin does not mount it. Instead it uses some internal protocol to communicate with device/network, and saying "f*ck you" to the rest apps. It is so badly implemented that Dolphin doesn't even show previews for images on MTP — right, because the directory not mounted. It is so badly implemented, that if you click "F4" to open a terminal in the share, it would open in the home directory instead.

The worst is that developers doesn't even care. There a few alike bugs about it, which is very old, and still unfixed.
              Last edited by Hi-Angel; 21 April 2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I'm running the developer unstable git package repo. It has its fair share of bugs so I was hoping that the user edition wouldn't be just a tech preview at this point. I think I'll wait a little longer until I wipe my drive clean and install the user edition of neon. By the way, why do they have two isos to download where it is unclear which to get?

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                  The problem is the bad KIO usage in dolphin, which is very-very annoying.
                  Actually it is normal usage of KIO, which is an asynchronous, protocol agnostic, application level, crossplatform IO framework.

If Dolphin, or any other KIO application for that matter, wants to delegate handling of an URL to another application, it can hand over the KIO connection (i.e. so that one-time URLs do not get accessed twice) to another KIO using application, the URL itself to another application capable of URLs and, as a last fallback, delegate retrieving the content and launching the delegate with a local temporary file.

Now, if someone want to add more options, say a Linux specific thing like a FUSE mount, then they could do that and e.g. implicitly enable all KIO using launchers to fall back on that before downloading the file.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    Actually it is normal usage of KIO, which is an asynchronous, protocol agnostic, application level, crossplatform IO framework.

If Dolphin, or any other KIO application for that matter, wants to delegate handling of an URL to another application, it can hand over the KIO connection (i.e. so that one-time URLs do not get accessed twice) to another KIO using application, the URL itself to another application capable of URLs and, as a last fallback, delegate retrieving the content and launching the delegate with a local temporary file.

Now, if someone want to add more options, say a Linux specific thing like a FUSE mount, then they could do that and e.g. implicitly enable all KIO using launchers to fall back on that before downloading the file.

Cheers,
                    _
                    Please, could you add a bit details on how to enable mounting? Last time I searched I didn't find anything except of doing manual mount, which is a bit user-hostile, especially from the point that we have a file manager which ought to do it automagically.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I play videos with VLC via network (both SMB and NFS) with KDE, no prob. But maybe you are using "smb:/" protocol and I mount them ?

BTW if what you said is trivial stuff, explain me why F3 (split in commander mode) does not work anymore since Ubuntu 14.04.
                      This war far more important...
                      How do you do it? I just go to network, add a new place and browse my drives. Is there other way to do it?
                      By trivial stuff i mean this, and (i haven't tested this one in a few releases) when i donwload a file that is a compressed archive and open it with ark, it just doesnt work... There were some other issues, but i gave up on KDE a couple of years now, so i don't really remember.

I don't know what you mean about F3, i use Linux Mint with Cinnamon

Comment

Working...
                      X