Ubuntu 16.04 Intel Graphics: Unity, Xfce, KDE, LXDE, GNOME, MATE, Openbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04 Intel Graphics: Unity, Xfce, KDE, LXDE, GNOME, MATE, Openbox

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.04 Intel Graphics: Unity, Xfce, KDE, LXDE, GNOME, MATE, Openbox

Some Phoronix readers have been requesting fresh tests of OpenGL graphics/gaming performance on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with its different desktop environment options. For some brief results to share this Sunday, here are some Intel Skylake numbers when running Ubuntu 16.04 and testing out Unity, Xfce, KDE Plasma, LXDE, GNOME, MATE, and Openbox.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would like to see some Solus benchmarks, they boast pretty loudly about their desktop performance optimizations, would be nice to see if they live up to it.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Would like to see some Solus benchmarks, they boast pretty loudly about their desktop performance optimizations, would be nice to see if they live up to it.
      I will when their Solus 1.2 release is out. I tried 1.1 before but the installer was broken for me. Their developers already said the new installer will be ready for this next 1.2 release and acknowledged their current installer is messed up.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah I can relate, doesn't even have USB support... :O I'll be looking forward to it then.

Comment

I use KDE and never play games with compositions enabled. It can be toggled with ctrl+shift+F12. I think this mode should also be included in benchmark.

Comment

nice benchmark
            Last edited by edoantonioco; 17 April 2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
              I use KDE and never play games with compositions enabled. It can be toggled with ctrl+shift+F12. I think this mode should also be included in benchmark.
              Each of the desktops was tested out-of-the-box. Plus with Intel anyways, doesn't that option on KDE not have any effect? They had disabled it in the code for Intel to have no effect, or did they end up reverting that decision?
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm wondering, why there is such a huge difference between Openbox and xfwm (xfce)? Openbox doesn't have compositor anyway, so it's clear why it was so fast, but Was xfwm running with compositor enabled? AFAIK this is not activated by default, or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by scorp View Post
                  I'm wondering, why there is such a huge difference between Openbox and xfwm (xfce)? Openbox doesn't have compositor anyway, so it's clear why it was so fast, but Was xfwm running with compositor enabled? AFAIK this is not activated by default, or am I wrong?
                  It depends on the distribution. Gentoo and Arch distribute stock configurations, I'm not sure about whether Ubuntu does or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Each of the desktops was tested out-of-the-box. Plus with Intel anyways, doesn't that option on KDE not have any effect? They had disabled it in the code for Intel to have no effect, or did they end up reverting that decision?
                    On my intel laptop (optimus) I can't disable compositing from the kde settings, but Alt+Shift+F12 seems to work. Still, it sucks than the compositor can't be disabled automatically

Comment

Working...
                    X