No announcement yet.

The State Of Fedora Workstation 23, Looking Ahead To Fedora 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone knows if there is an official way in the Wayland Protocol do rotate the display or do we need wlrandr? Or does every compositor have to implement it on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
      What's up with this Fedora shilling lately?
      You mean people enjoying a stable release of a distro and expressing that joy?
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Anyone knows if there is an official way in the Wayland Protocol do rotate the display or do we need wlrandr? Or does every compositor have to implement it on its own?
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and follow-up: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTY0MTE

Only sources I could find
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and follow-up: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTY0MTE

Only sources I could find

I wonder if that's still up to date and if mutter, kwin will simply implement these extensions and weston-randr gets renamed wlrandr to be more compositor agnostic.

Comment

Something like wrandr is only needed if clients (applications, e.g. a game) want to configure screens, which in the wayland world is frowned upon. I doubt it will ever be accepted.

The screens are under direct control of the compositor (kwin/mutter/weston/etc) so screen rotation is a function of a particular compositor. It does not need to be a part of the client protocol (wayland). The compositor does however need to expose some way to configure such things to the user, a UI or config file. I would guess most major desktop compositors will implement a DBUS interface and add some thing to their System Settings/Configuration application.

Comment

I don't have anything useful to add, just that the work being done looks cool to me. I'm posting this from Elementary Linux, but my work laptop and my other personal desktop are running Fedora 22 at the moment and I'm very happy with both.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

You mean people enjoying a stable release of a distro and expressing that joy?

As long as it's not even able to play MP3 files out of the box I would not consider it a stable Linux distribution. Not to mention the newest addition - DNF, which thanks to various bugs acts as a complete downgrade from yum.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post

As long as it's not even able to play MP3 files out of the box I would not consider it a stable Linux distribution.
                  How can this be relevant with stability?
                  Not to mention the newest addition - DNF, which thanks to various bugs acts as a complete downgrade from yum.
                  Can you be more specific?

Comment

I have had yum-dnf issues myself, generally while updating or w/e it will get as far as dependency resolution and then seemingly fail to identify packages or some such. the Korora homepage had a notice on that. I have been using the regular yumex instead without issue. I have not tried the DNF-yumex in a while.

"There have been a few reports of Yum extender DNF giving errors when updating. This appears to only affect Korora 22 as 21 still uses Yumex with a Yum backend, not the newer DNF.
                    When attempting to update everything appears normal until the Apply changes icon is clicked. Then a message appears stating there is an "Error in search for Dependencies". Currently this is known to affect Xfce but other desktops may also see the error."

now, I sure hope F23 is not delayed again!

Comment

Working...
                    X