Fedora 22 Is Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    I installed Fedora 22 beta on my old laptop (a Zepto with Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 with an Intel GMA X3100 and 2 Gb of RAM) and it is painfully slow. Even just using Gnome is painful and moving the mouse pointer around is very laggy. Is that to be expected, I know it's an old laptop (from 2008), but I thought that the DE would at least be USABLE in any sense. At least for browsing using Firefox.
    GNOME 3.x requires fairly recent OpenGL version and a rather beefy CPU.
    I'd switch to XFCE version of F22 and see if things improve. (Most likely it will, considerably).

- Gilboa
    Last edited by gilboa; 26 May 2015, 02:28 PM.
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Any Fedora 22 torrent?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Any Fedora 22 torrent?

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

I'd switch to XFCE version of F22 and see if things improve. (Most likely it will, considerably).

- Gilboa
          I wouldn't say it requires *beefy* CPU or GPU. My i5 X220 has been running GNOME3 without hiccups since 3.8.

Comment

Bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Bullshit.
              Depends from where you're coming... If you're using AwesomeWM, of course GNOME will seem slower. That being said. I find it stupid to compare a simple WM to an entire DE without even mentioning it.

Comment

I'm generally pro-Gnome but the with the myriad performance problems I've encountered with GPU composition across different devices I'm not very keen on the whole idea of composited desktops.

As an aside, I've read quite a fre complains about slowdowns for those using Wayland. I thought we were moving away from X11 precisely to get rid of the bottlenecks and lockups all too characteristic of the Linux desktop. What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                  As an aside, I've read quite a fre complains about slowdowns for those using Wayland. I thought we were moving away from X11 precisely to get rid of the bottlenecks and lockups all too characteristic of the Linux desktop. What gives?
                  The trial of Gnome on Wayland was a fast experience especially on new hardware i.e. AMD Kaveri A10 7400p with Dual Radeon Graphic aside a lack of proper optimization of power management. The old Intel 945GM laptop was also smoother than expected despite some known hiccups related on XWayland run applications. The issues are mostly implementation. More test are needed to support many hardware as possible.

Comment

At times the cursor on Plasma 5 can also feel sluggish, but it's usable. My earlier trial of Gnome on Wayland however was unusable. I'm using an Ivy Bridge i5.

Comment

On the contrary, it runs on my crappy old first-gen-Atom netbook from 2008 or so. A little slowly, I'll grant, but quite usable for basic stuff like browsing and mail, and even light photo editing - I use the machine when I'm travelling, because it's so small and lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X