Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 Jessie Is Ready For Release This Weekend

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 Jessie Is Ready For Release This Weekend

Steve McIntyre has relayed that the Debian camp is "Ready for Jessie!" and that the debian-cd team is happy with the state of the debian-installer and related packages for the Debian 8.0 Jessie release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Steve McIntyre has relayed that the Debian camp is "Ready for Jessie!"
    *He* is ready for jessie, to build the CD images... but the rest of the distro doesn't look ready to me:

Comment

I agree. Debian Jessie is not yet in an acceptable shape. I strongly recommend not to upgrade from Wheezy yet.
      Especially AMD users should still wait:
      The GNOME desktop does not work with the AMD proprietary FGLRX driver
      So, who wants to use Gnome with AMD hardware should use the open source driver. Sounds good, but there's still this little bug:
      Kernel crashes with radeonsi

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
        I agree. Debian Jessie is not yet in an acceptable shape. I strongly recommend not to upgrade from Wheezy yet.
        So, who wants to use Gnome with AMD hardware should use the open source driver. Sounds good, but there's still this little bug:
        While I agree it is not ready, I have to say I use Jessie with AMD open source graphics, and it is almost as good as is Intel graphics.

Only release when it is ready!

Comment

Even when it is released, the transition to systemd as init, dracut for initramfs, and supporting stuff for desktop environments makes it a *really rough* upgrade. I'd advise anyone happy with their wheezy installation to not upgrade it at all, but consider jessie only for new installations.

3 out of 3 of my wheezy systems were unbootable after upgrading them this past week. I managed to get one booting again with systemd, after some painful diagnosis of some udev-related issue. On the others I had to manually repair initramfs to be able to access LUKS encrypted root, then restore original sysvinit-core to get them booting properly again; and still some basic functionality no longer works, like the shutdown/reboot buttons in the login manager and XFCE.

Comment

Such bugs remind me of my last Debian install some 15 years ago or so...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
              Such bugs remind me of my last Debian install some 15 years ago or so...
              Reminds me of WIndows too. Suddenly there's lots of stuff whose workings are hidden or are controlled in some over-complex way, and if you hit a problem it's now harder to debug and fix it than to just reinstall.

OTOH upgrades from etch through wheezy have always been fine for me. Never had an unbootable system this way.

Comment

... exactly the radeonsi bug prevents me using debian as productive os (only with disabled powermanagement). I is a pitty!

Bests
                Tom

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                  While I agree it is not ready, I have to say I use Jessie with AMD open source graphics, and it is almost as good as is Intel graphics.

Only release when it is ready!
                  I have to say why are you using Debian Jessie if you are using the open source drivers.The one's included in Debian Jessie are about 6 months behind the latest Mesa release and at this point it would be better to even use Ubuntu for your card.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    I have to say why are you using Debian Jessie if you are using the open source drivers.The one's included in Debian Jessie are about 6 months behind the latest Mesa release and at this point it would be better to even use Ubuntu for your card.
                    Well, a good question. There are several reasons: I have about always had some problems with Ubuntu. The Base Ubuntu works good enough, but often times if I needed some applications not included in base installation I encountered problems. I don't quite remember the exact applications and issues except about Gplot, Gnome, and Upstart. I also do maintain several machines, and Debian has given most trouble free time with them, and I prefer to use the same OS at home.

That said, I may try the new Ubuntu so I can see the difference in performance between Ubuntu and Debian.

Comment

Working...
                    X