Details Of DNF Succeeding Yum In Fedora 22 Still Being Discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edmon View Post
    After rpm , yum and now dnf it is obvious that the problem is not the package manager but the package type itself.
    dnf is a fork of yum. Forked to become the NEXT VERSION of yum. It is not something entirely new.
    yum isn't a replacement for rpm. yum is a COMPANION for rpm. A companion that handles repositories of packages and automatically solving conflicts and performing updates.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      There is apt, aptitude, smart, cupt, wajig and so on, it is clearly a problem with that package format as well, right?
      It is 2015 and for all rpm based distributions it is still problem to upgrade from one release to next one without some magic!
      It is obvious package type problem if no one can achieve it.
      It is easy to write package manager for dpkg this is why there is so many of them and only two for rpm.

And it is very ugly when under your name is written for whom you work and to start talk about other distributions. this seems to be your company PR problem

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        dnf is a fork of yum. Forked to become the NEXT VERSION of yum. It is not something entirely new.
        yum isn't a replacement for rpm. yum is a COMPANION for rpm. A companion that handles repositories of packages and automatically solving conflicts and performing updates.
        rpm is for this... and yum is for that ... and dnf is for this.... we all know that.
        i just tried to remember what was used to update redhat derivates but didn't remember. now i can it was something like urpmi, another useless crap

Comment

It is 2015 and for all rpm based distributions it is still problem to upgrade from one release to next one without some magic!
          It is easy to write package manager for dpkg this is why there is so many of them and only two for rpm.

And it is very ugly when under your name is written for whom you work and to start talk about other distributions. this seems to be your company PR problem
          1) Upgrades have nothing to do with package format.
          2) If you claim rpm has only two "package managers", you have no clue what you are talking about
          3) The profile info is incorrect and Phoronix refuses to update it. Not my problem.

Comment

1) Upgrades have nothing to do with package format.
            2) If you claim rpm has only two "package managers", you have no clue what you are talking about
            3) The profile info is incorrect and Phoronix refuses to update it. Not my problem.
            tell me with you right hand on your heart that rpm isn't crap and i'll never mention it in my postings.

Comment

tell me with you right hand on your heart that rpm isn't crap and i'll never mention it in my postings.
              I have been using and maintaining 100's of RPM packages for well over a decade and it servers its purpose very well. If you post about something, it would be helpful if you have an understanding about it but that isn't a requirement of course.

Comment

Even if he thought it was... did you bother to look at who he works for? Hint: Its right under his username

Comment

I fail to see what is "some magic" about;

Seems like pretty straight-forward instructions.
                  - import new key,
                  - update yum itself,
                  - clean all the crap that might be lurking,
                  - do the update.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    Even if he thought it was... did you bother to look at who he works for? Hint: Its right under his username
                    That info is outdated. Unfortunately Phoronix doesn't let me edit the title under the username.

Comment

That info is outdated. Unfortunately Phoronix doesn't let me edit the title under the username.
                      Really...? Who are you with now?

Comment

Working...
                      X