No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 15.04 Will Use KDE's Plasma 5 By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, some KDE projects have moved to a "master is always usable" approach after the move to git and the resulting modularization of KDE repositories and tarballs. But actual kmix releases still happen as part of KDE SC releases. Just look at the latest tarballs, you will find kmix alongside everything else, just as it has always been.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Neither are KMix etc. frameworks nor does your reply offer an explanation why they became Extragear modules (=independent release cycle) during the SC4 era.
      I feel like BlueDevil was moved to "Extragear" because it's not really... core? Like, it's not directly related to most desktop users.

They don't but people are afraid of change.
      In a world of widescreen monitors putting the task bar on the bottom edge is as stupid as desktop icons, which are always covered by windows, have always been.
      As somebody who's used Cinnamon, Gnome2/Mate, Gnome3, and Unity each for more than 3 months at a time, I can safely say I prefer the traditional layout. Unity even came above Gnome 3 in terms of "usability" for me, simply because Gnome multitasking kinda sucks (and who's bright fucking idea was it to HIDE STATUS INDICATORS?? That person needs a kick in the balls). I actually like Windows 8.1 "Metro/Modern" interface, even as a keyboard user, but still prefer Cinnamon :P

As for the taskbar being on the bottom, a single option change and BOOM, it's on the left or right side of the screen. Windows 7/8 looks a little weird like this, but I think KDE does it really nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        Yes, some KDE projects have moved to a "master is always usable" approach after the move to git and the resulting modularization of KDE repositories and tarballs. But actual kmix releases still happen as part of KDE SC releases. Just look at the latest tarballs, you will find kmix alongside everything else, just as it has always been.
        Quote: ?Independent releases from KDE core releases?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          I feel like BlueDevil was moved to "Extragear" because it's not really... core? Like, it's not directly related to most desktop users.
          Most desktop users these days are mostly laptop users and laptops often have Bluetooth.
          BlueDevil never was part of Workspace. Its predecessor was.

Comment

the next LTS is Kubuntu 16.04 in spring 2016

I'm hardly a fan of Kubuntu but the stable release is the 14.04 LTS one.
            In the Ubuntu world all releases between LTSes are meant to be experimental.
            Ive just moved all our home computers and another dozen or so from family from 12.04 to 14.04 (I always wait a few months for the big bugs to be fixed so I start in the summer). I have no intention to upgrade anything until Kubuntu 16.04 LTS comes out so that means Ill be switching in the summer of 2014.
            Everything else is tested on Virtuabox.

I had most of my computers on KDE3.5 when KDE 4 came out and I waited about 18-24months when KDE4.2 and 4.3 came out and I thought they were ready to switch my machines then the ones belonging to my parents and inlaws and aunts. Of course, some lemmings didnt bother to RTFA and were surprised.
            I kept testing KDE 4.0, 4.1 and so on until I found it stable enough for use.

This time around I can test Plasma 4-5 all I want (test them virtually or on a spare laptop I test distros on) until July-Aug 2016 because its not being used in any work, home or relatives computers until then.

Of course, if you switch your work machine as soon as something new comes in and youre not a newb, then youre an idiot.

Comment

Perhaps, if KMix and BlueDevil included Plasma applets, they could be released alongside Plasma. Well, KMix has a Plasma 4 applet but it has been in review for over a year now.

Also, Apachelogger (a Kubuntu developer) has been making a new Plasma applet based solely on PulseAudio. Perhaps, this new applet can be installed along with Plasma and obviously only show up if PulseAudio is found (KMix would be the alternative).

Comment

Quote: ?Independent releases from KDE core releases?
                Please provide a link to any of these "independent releases".

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                  Perhaps, if KMix and BlueDevil included Plasma applets, they could be released alongside Plasma. Well, KMix has a Plasma 4 applet but it has been in review for over a year now.
                  kate, kdevelop, konsole, marble, kde telepathy, and akonadi all have plasma applets. If everything with a plasma applet shipped with plasma, plasma would enormous.

Comment

Not really related to 15.04; but I tried the 14.10 Plasma 5 release, and there was no printer configuration. Could probably use that release for daily use, if it wasn't for that.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                      I have been running KF5 and plasma-desktop for a couple of weeks/months now as a primary desktop (with fallback to lxqt or awesome) on my Arch system (first from AUR and now from the binary repositories).

I find it totally useable with minor or no problems. The missing stuff at the moment are the KDE applications that still need KDE4 stuff (there were some conflicts where upgrades got tricky). Given time I think it will all be very polished and good. Releasing each part when it is ready instead of trying to do a single SC makes a lot of sense even if there are some cases of annoyances now before everything is ready.
                      I have been running it aswell on Arch and it crashes left and right for me. Sometimes switching desktops or doing something just freezes kde at 100%+ and Systemd just starts doing its thing with coredumps. This on Intel igpu (ux32vd) laptop. This happens mostly every day when using it. So i would be careful about putting it out on a stable relase version just yet. Sure things can change during coming months but if they release Kubuntu Stable with latest versions of KDE of that time when its not 99.9% stable KDE developers will get the flack from users.

Comment

Working...
                      X