No announcement yet.

Wasteland 2 Officially Launched Today, Including For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tested Limbo under Debian (Testing) and the steam version worked fantastically, gamepad (Xbox 360 controller) and everything worked great.

Then it was pointed out that it's the humble bundle version that is causing issues, downloaded it, installed, and it didn't have any sound. Installed the 32 bit version of libsdl, then renamed the one in the folder and now I have sound as well as the gamepad works.

Also tried it 4 times, and it didn't hang.

I know the second bug report (the one that was marked "WON'T FIX" was about the gamepad not working, and it was some generic one. Makes sense, as it seems to me most games for the PC now days are written to only work with a 360 controller... Only reason I bought one.

I'll test it on Arch as well to see how that goes.

Comment

Limbo works just fine under Arch as well. Granted, I installed it via the AUR package, which probably just makes it use the system SDL library.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        So no change with this library.
        Do you have composition enabled? Try to disable it.
        Yeah I tried disabling KWin compositing and same thing. It hangs too.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Comment

It looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.

When I go to start up Limbo, the game starts, I'm able to get past the "Press Any Key" screen, and upon the initial zoom-in of the game, it freezes up, and fails to either continue or shut down (not even going into the terminal and typing the command to kill the process works). I should point out that before the Linux port came out I played the game on Wine and it worked fine.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            Remember than GOG supports officially Linux mint and Ubuntu, and you are using Gentoo (how do you expect GOG people to support a distro like Gentoo?). And GOG has the refund policy, but I guess you already know it.
            +1. If you want a refund from GOG, run the game on one of the supported distros and if it fails - file a report to them. Expecting them to support Gentoo by default is not sensible at all (see for instance this bug: https://github.com/KillaW0lf04/The-W...sues/issues/30)

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              +1. If you want a refund from GOG, run the game on one of the supported distros and if it fails - file a report to them. Expecting them to support Gentoo by default is not sensible at all (see for instance this bug: https://github.com/KillaW0lf04/The-W...sues/issues/30)
              My problem is not with GOG, it's with the native Linux version of Limbo from the humble bundle.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                My problem is not with GOG, it's with the native Linux version of Limbo from the humble bundle.
                Does limbo specify what distro they recommend? If they built it on Ubuntu then who knows...

Otherwise, it might still be a hardware issue. If the game doesn't work on windows, I am very sure it won't work on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                  Does limbo specify what distro they recommend? If they built it on Ubuntu then who knows...

Otherwise, it might still be a hardware issue. If the game doesn't work on windows, I am very sure it won't work on Linux.
                  I don't think it's a distro problem. As you can see, other people are reporting the same problem under Ubuntu:

When I go to start up Limbo, the game starts, I'm able to get past the "Press Any Key" screen, and upon the initial zoom-in of the game, it freezes up, and fails to either continue or shut down (not even going into the terminal and typing the command to kill the process works). I should point out that before the Linux port came out I played the game on Wine and it worked fine.

I don't think it's hardware related either, I was able to reproduce the problem under complete different machines. Also, the game works perfectly under wine and it won't hang under wine.

So that confuses me even more as where the problem could be.

I think the problem is with the port, because I have other games that use SDL2 and they don't have this problem.
                  Last edited by ihatemichael; 21 September 2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                    I don't think it's a distro problem. As you can see, other people are reporting the same problem under Ubuntu:

I don't think it's hardware related either, I was able to reproduce the problem under complete different machines. Also, the game works perfectly under wine and it won't hang under wine.

So that confuses me even more as where the problem could be.

I think the problem is with the port, because I have other games that use SDL2 and they don't have this problem.
                    I tried it in manjaro (the humblebundle version) and it works good, its a weird bug

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                      I tried it in manjaro (the humblebundle version) and it works good, its a weird bug
                      Right. Do you play in fullscreen or windowed mode? What's your backbufferheight set to?

Can you try to run the game a few times and see if it hangs for you?

There are times the game won't hang for me at all, but it happens most of the time.

This is so frustrating, and it looks like the one that is on Steam is the same binary.

Comment

Working...
                      X