Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Developers Release APT 1.0

Phoronix: Debian Developers Release APT 1.0

Debian developers announced this week version 1.0 of APT, their Advanced Packaging Tool, on the day that the packaging project turned sixteen years old...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this new apt binary is as easy to use as archlinux pacman. Unifiying the apt ecosystem is a good move. I moved from xubuntu to archlinux because of the outdated software, upgrades and ppa which was sickening me. Maybe some time on the future I will come back to a debian based distro, but for now arch (installed with Antergos) is so stable and updated that I dont have complains. Pacman is even faster than apt and the arch user repository is a dream.

Comment

I never felt that apt is a particularly good package manager. For something that is suposed to be used in a terminal it does a pretty shitty job producing readable output. Compare that to yum or pacman, where everything is presented in a nice tabular view and every action only takes up one line and has a progressbar. Also never figured out why it can't be just apt install <something>, why does it need so many different commands? Debian repos are also just horrible. Just look at how many directories and files make up a debian repo. It could be as simple as just having one folder per architecture per repo containing the packages and one database file like on Arch. You can't make packaging anymore complicated than on Debian.
      Last edited by blackout23; 04 April 2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        I never felt that apt is a particularly good package manager. For something that is suposed to be used in a terminal it does a pretty shitty job producing readable output. Compare that to yum or pacman, where everything is presented in a nice tabular view and every action only takes up one line and has a progressbar. Also never figured out why it can't be just apt install <something>, why does it need so many different commands? Debian repos are also just horrible. Just look at how many directories and files make up a debian repo. It could be as simple as just having one folder per architecture per repo containing the packages and one database file like on Arch. You can't make packaging anymore complicated than on Debian.
        It's apt-get install <something>

Also, you are confusing apt, the manager with apt-get, one of several frontends. Many people prefer aptitude, a different frontend.

Comment

Anybody using Linux Mint has been using just the "apt" command for a while now
          They write a bash script to wrap the common uses of apt-get and apt-cache

Some examples: "apt install <package>" == "apt-get install <package>" and "apt search <package>" == "apt-cache search <package>"

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Anybody using Linux Mint has been using just the "apt" command for a while now
            They write a bash script to wrap the common uses of apt-get and apt-cache

Some examples: "apt install <package>" == "apt-get install <package>" and "apt search <package>" == "apt-cache search <package>"
            Didn't know that, thanks. My experience with Mint was only fleeting.

Comment

Code:
              $ apt-get moo
                       (__) 
                       (oo) 
                 /------\/ 
                / |    ||   
               *  /\---/\ 
                  ~~   ~~   
              ...."Have you mooed today?"...
              I gotta admit I haven't used pacman, but.. for me, apt and aptitude are GREAT package managers. It is true that sometimes the output is a bit cryptic (when things break, for example), but once you learn how to manage things, everything "just works" as it should.

Comment

Does it support SHA-3?
                Or it uses MD5 or some shit?

How good is the SAT dependency solver?

Comment

One really nasty bug: It doesn't work right with captive portals.

Maybe switching to ssl or or signing works around this problem.
                  Last edited by dibal; 04 April 2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dibal View Post
                    One really nasty bug: It doesn't work right with captive portals.

Maybe switching to ssl or or signing works around this problem.
                    I cannot edit: Maybe switching to ssl or or signing the package list works around this problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X