No announcement yet.

Canonical Is Shutting Down Ubuntu One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who actively uses python, I wouldn't say the language was the real fault of the application/service. But considering Ubuntu really only works on x86 and ARM, and considering Ubuntu One is primarily an Ubuntu-only utility, I don't really understand why they chose python. I personally choose python because I like developing things that are cross platform in both an OS and hardware perspective, and because it's very to-the-point.

In some ways I don't think Canonical really cared about One from the beginning - I think it was more of a proof-of-concept than a product they actually expected users to take advantage of.

Comment

If you want to compete, you need user adoption. They made something that won't even run on most Linux installations. Then they gave it poor performance. And higher prices. With less of a network effect.

The writing was on the wall.

Comment

Go OwnCloud!

Comment

Ubuntu One always seemed rather stupid

Ubuntu One always seemed rather stupid.

Why should I use Ubuntu's cloud service when other providers (Google, Microsoft, etc) offers similar services with higher uptime, higher speeds, more features, with more storage, at cheaper prices?

Why use a Ubuntu-only service, that I might not be able to use on other Linux distributions? Vendor lock-in!
          How am I supposed to consume the service from my phone and tablet?
          From Windows, iOS and Android?

Why should I use this service-specific client software that I can only use with Ubuntu One?

I would much rather have a cloud-agnostic cross-platform client that worked with Ubuntu One, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud, Dropbox, Box, and ownCloud.
          Then I can freely migrate between underlying service providers while still using the same client software.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I would much rather have a cloud-agnostic cross-platform client that worked with Ubuntu One, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud, Dropbox, Box, and ownCloud.
            Then I can freely migrate between underlying service providers while still using the same client software.
            With automatic client-level encryption, which would guarantee that when Microsfot, Google or Apple allows NSA to access your files, they can't read them.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
              Dropbox client written in python.
              I have read that the Python use in Dropbox is limited to the user interface and other basic logic, the actual file and network IO is done by librsync which is written in C.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Ubuntu One always seemed rather stupid.

How am I supposed to consume the service from my phone and tablet?
                From Windows, iOS and Android?
                ??? Ubuntu One had clients for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS..

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  With automatic client-level encryption, which would guarantee that when Microsfot, Google or Apple allows NSA to access your files, they can't read them.
                  That part should also be doable by using EncFS locally and having the encrypted shadow directory synced.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Bad news for me. Now I need to search for an alternative. I guess with dropbox or google drive I can send download links to who ever I want, but without google etc. finding my stuff?

Comment

This is disappointing, I enjoyed the integration with Unity. Maybe they can work on getting alternatives like dropbox, google drive to integrate nicely as well?

Any programs here on the forum want to take the opensource Ubuntuone client and hack it to display dropbox, googledrive, and owncloud shares instead? Kinda like how the sound menu shows multiple audio players, it could hold the controls for 3rd party cloud services.

Comment

Working...
                      X