No announcement yet.

Three New Tweaks I Like In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also the old decorations were in fact a source of slow down and they were GTK 2 based so you had decorations with GTK 2 and most of the programs with GTK 3.

Marco Trevisan comment about old gtk-window-decorator
    What we wanted to do is removing any gtk2, legacy and unsupported toolkit from the default ubuntu installation, making things nicer, a lot simpler and so much less heavy... Keep in mind that the old gtk-window-decorator + decor plugin were using an high amount of memory and doing a lot of duplicated computations and allocations that we got rid of with this.

Comment

Change the launcher size...that's nice. But I'd prefer being able to reposition the launcher. I've never gotten used to Ubuntu's side-launcher.

Comment

Well, i can easily say what i dont like - compiz is still buggy and eats tons of ram and has tons of graphical bugs, literaly nr1 thing in ram usage even with other programs like chrome opened. unity launcher doesnt always appears when needed, when it is set to hide and sensitivity is set to minimum through ccsm.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
          Well, i can easily say what i dont like - compiz is still buggy and eats tons of ram and has tons of graphical bugs, literaly nr1 thing in ram usage even with other programs like chrome opened. unity launcher doesnt always appears when needed, when it is set to hide and sensitivity is set to minimum through ccsm.
          Compiz hovers around 90 MiB when looking at gnome-system-monitor for me and I can't think of any time that it was using in my case more RAM than Chrome or JDownloader (java program). There are problems with graphics in certain cases on NVIDIA drivers but nothing that bothers me personally.

[nvidia] Windows appear blank white

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
            So just change your habits?
            I have a ribbon interface for you.

Comment

Sorry, but I ust rebooted my machine and only one window open in firefox, my homepage www.google.com and this is my ram usuage. http://imgur.com/zP319A5

You can clearly see that compiz isn't my top ram user, and once I open the 20+ pages I plan on opening today (refrences, diagrams, wiki pages) 140mb will seem tiny to my browser 2GB+ usuage later today. Then I'll add about 10 apps on top of that with multiple windows of each. Still won't hit my 4GB of ram.

Comment

Hohohoh, firefox vs compiz, are you kidding ???? that ff thing is buggy as hell and leaks memory like triple hell Anyway, compiz is number one memory eater on my pc. I remember those times when compiz used only about 30-40 mb of ram, now it easily overclimbs 200+ mb.

Comment

Hohohoh, firefox vs compiz, are you kidding ???? that ff thing is buggy as hell and leaks memory like triple hell Anyway, compiz is number one memory eater on my pc. I remember those times when compiz used only about 30-40 mb of ram, now it easily overclimbs 200+ mb.
                  Why are you being so rude?

Comment

I am honestly flabbergasted that Canonical's decision to "give up" on the global-menu is seen as a positive attribute to 14.04 by the linux media and Phoronix community members. For many of us, GM + cairoDock was the only sanity we could find in the confusing world of linux desktop environments. It was desktop linux's saving grace.

As someone that administers linux professionally, and on a huge scale, it pains me that my interaction with the OS is now limited entirely to the CLI via ssh from OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                      Why are you being so rude?
                      A large portion of the phoronix community are young, impassioned, and lack the social grace necessary for proper civilized discourse.

Translation: Because he's a shitlord hater.

Comment

Working...
                      X