No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Planning To Develop Its Own File Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how looks nautilus 3.8 with mediterranean theme, the buttons and the address are beautiful, but i know the appmenu of the gnome apps is not useful in global menu, anyways glad to hear notice about the vaporware of unity 8.
    Last edited by felipe; 01 February 2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

This has been known in the Ubuntu circles for quite some time now. It is the same file manager that's present in the Ubuntu tablet and phone. I remember couple of months ago seeing some basic desktop version of it on g+. It looked... pretty.

Comment

They could patch Nemo to work with Compiz or start from scratch

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        This was obvious. If they fuck this up really, really badly, it will still be better than Nautilus at this point.

Also, Dolphin <3
        I agree: Nautilus has become a disaster. Not long ago, Nemo would have been the obvious replacement but the Mint team has done something dumb with nemo: they have made it unable to manage the desktop except in Cinnamon/Muffin and Gnome-shell/Mutter. A compositing patch to get out of copying the background image cuts resource load, but gives a black background on any noncompositing window manager, and all kinds of redrawing issues in Compiz. Reverting that patch would be quick and easy, but I don't suppose Ubuntu wants to treat Mint as "upstream."

I can't see Ubuntu screwing this up worse than the GNOME team has done, so their new file manager will be an option for my netbook (running IceWM) if it doesn't depend on half of Unity.

Comment

About time. Well done, Canonical.

I'm a recent convert to Nemo (Nautilus just went too far for my tastes), but I understand it can be done even better. Marlin, for instance, is 10 times faster, albeit too buggy for daily use and with some questionable design decisions.

I understand the file manager will be built atop Qt, like Unity 8, and that's probably the reason why they don't take Nemo as a base. CLA is another reason too. I'm fine with that. Canonical is not the only one doing copyright assignment and there are pros and cons for it. As long as it's free software and can be forked, I'm absolutely fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            I agree: Nautilus has become a disaster. Not long ago, Nemo would have been the obvious replacement but the Mint team has done something dumb with nemo: they have made it unable to manage the desktop except in Cinnamon/Muffin and Gnome-shell/Mutter.
            I've installed Nemo in Unity following WebUpd8's advice here, and its handling the desktop fine.

Comment

I've had a custom GTK3 theme for years

Originally posted by brosis View Post
              Apparently, this "advantage" is no more.

More read:
              Since SpaceFM is entering the GTK3 realm (SpaceFM can now be built on anything from GTK 2.18 “I won’t give up my lenny!” thru GTK 3.6.x), I’m starting to hear more feedback …

Since I started using Linux I used GNOME, v1.2 in those times. It has always done what I needed, maybe not perfectly, and not fully, but for the most part. GNOME 3 changed all that. I complained ab…

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/a-li...spiracy-theory
              And every time upstream changes, starting something like gedit from terminal will show the errors the theme has with the new GTK3. So far I have been able to mantain it. If this becomes impossible I will be forced to pin GTK3, as I am not willing to give up the "UbuntuStudio-Legacy" theme I have been using, based on the 2008 era UbuntuStudio GTK2 theme that I have used since I first saw it and liked it.

So far, GTK3 will still read css files for theming, I don't know what that "import URL" stuff is in their newest version of Adwaita.

Comment

This is a patched version of course

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                I've installed Nemo in Unity following WebUpd8's advice here, and its handling the desktop fine.
                I don't know if this modified Nemo fixes the Compiz issue I ovserved (with Radeon drivers) or if Nemo has fixed the problem on their own. Will test upstream Nemo in Compiz shortly (I don't have Unity installed).

Comment

I used nemo for awhile. It's only selling point is that it retains the old and familar. I realized that Nautilus is just as capabable w/o all the cruft, it just took some getting used to. What you get with it is simplicity and elegance. It is the same exact story as the brilliant Gnome 3. Too bad people don't get it. Ubuntu, is now just like google, apple, ms, asserting themselves for their own sake and encroaching on everything.

Comment

I think it's funny that they removed the transparency effect from gnome-terminal. It's like one of the nicest features.

Comment

Gnome devs don't seem to understand that by removing features, they're alienating power users, who are the only people that might become developers and contributors to the gnome platform.
                      By not maintaining backwards compatibility they make the development for 3rd party developers even harder . That's one of the reasons that Linux desktop never gains momentum among developers.
                      I like how Gnome looks (it's much prettier that that pile of shit that kde is), but Gnome devs are such idiotic that are forcing us -power users and developers- to leave. I can't understand why Red Hat is allowing their Gnome developers to follow this path. It looks like they want to kill desktop Linux.

While I hate Ubuntu for following the Mir path, I applaud them for this. It would be better if they'd chosen Nemo, but considering their convergence stuff, a QML is the logical path.

Last edited by newwen; 01 February 2014, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X