Canonical Is Still Operating At A Significant Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    AUR is not PPA. AUR is similar to ports.
    The packages are source packages and not binary, sure. Using an AUR helper, as basically everyone does, the main distinction is that it takes a bit longer to install than binary packages*. The key of PPA in my opinion is the first P, personal. Users can contribute packages without having to get approval or get into a team, and users can download from whereever they want easily.

* and that it is much easier to make modifications of your own.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      systemd was created after upstart
      as far as i know the reason for systemd it was that upstart missed a lot of functionality for the vision of new init for linux. at that point it was decided it is easier to write new one than fixing upstart. if i remember correctly one of the 1st questions was new or base it on upstart.

don't know, but based on the fact that right now upstart has way less functionality after so short time, one would have to agree with original assumption as the right way to go. upstart simply doesn't get the love it would need to keep up with systemd (or systemd gets it too much), even though it had grand advantage when systemd was started.

to be fair, systemd has advantage in being focused on one system where upstart has to make compromises to be cross platform which would probably be one of reasons for slower progress

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        to be fair, systemd has advantage in being focused on one system where upstart has to make compromises to be cross platform which would probably be one of reasons for slower progress
        I thought upstart was linux-only.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
          Canonical have put their own interests before Linux Desktop /Laptop. We have a major split within Linux. SystemD and Wayland on the one hand. Ubuntu's Upstart and Mir on the other. This creates a serious problem for Debian, which ever they go it will be messy. Dictatorships in a project are not always wrong. Sometimes they get things done that committees can't. Shuttleworth's behaviour forces us to make a choice, to jump on his train or not.
          Actually, I've never been "forced" by anyone to use Upstart or any other Ubuntu-developed project. Viceversa, I feel constantly pushed by the systemd camp (that's RedHat) to use systemd, because systemd is constantly incorporating inside of itself projects that once were external, distribution-independent, and/or platform-independent. Examples: udev, consolekit, now dbus. And that's OK, because we're talking about open source software, and who writes the code gets to decide where to go. And who doesn't like the direction can write and maintain his own alternative. The same thing can be said about Canonical and Mir. I don't understand why Canonical gets all the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
            So it's much worse for everyone, free software and not, what Google is doing than what Canonical is. But if we could compare the lines of discussion in the Phoronix forums regarding Canonical and Google, about which company do you think would there have been more debate? Nobody in the real world cares about Canonical. If we need to talk about them, I think Canonical deserve much more flack for using Google Hangouts for their developer sumits than what they're doing on the dash right now. you know, focus, priorities are all messed up.
            I think you're forgetting a focus: the focus of this website. This website is about GNU/Linux-related news, and Canonical is a huge chunk of its userbase. Google doesn't have a GNU/Linux distribution. Of course I don't like what they did with Google Talk or how they are closing things (and Android in general), but this website isn't focused on that.

As for Google being the main search engine of Firefox, it's different from Dash search results (or Windows 8 search, for that matter): you are aware that what you enter gets sent to third parties, because it's a web browser and not desktop search. Also, Google may be spying on people, but you don't know who else is. If anything, advertisements on pretty much every website does that...

Comment

Dur, Chrome OS is Linux based, as is Android

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I think you're forgetting a focus: the focus of this website. This website is about GNU/Linux-related news, and Canonical is a huge chunk of its userbase. Google doesn't have a GNU/Linux distribution. Of course I don't like what they did with Google Talk or how they are closing things (and Android in general), but this website isn't focused on that.
                Oops, forgot the quote for my reply above. Besides, the BSDs are included in the news and so is Windows. Anything relevant to Linux is on this website. We don't hear about a bunch of android apps, not because Android isn't Linux, but because it's not relevant to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  We don't hear about a bunch of android apps, not because Android isn't Linux, but because it's not relevant to Linux.
                  The fact is that we don't hear about android apps, as the focus is not about that. Yes, Android gets mentioned every now and then, as is ChromeOS, but only in passing. The coverage of Ubuntu is much, much greater and it reflects on the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                    Valve doesn't aim to make money from SteamOS. They're just trying to comoditize the gaming OS and console market, just like Google has done with android in the mobile space. Valve is following a much more open way than Google does with Android, though (more comparable to Chromium OS than Android). They just can't afford to let a single company monopolize the gaming platform when that same company has entered the digital software distribution business in direct competition with Valve.
                    Yes, they do, indirectly. SteamOS will be considered profitalble when income from games purchased via SteamOS is more than their investments into SteamOS.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                      So no, I don't believe in excuses, I believe in focus. The world is so much bigger than our basements. Nevermind Canonical. Let's stop bickering and talk about something that really matters?
                      Canonical being evil affects my basement more than Google being evil. Yes I'm selfish, who isn't?

Comment

Working...
                      X