X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Try dual booting a dm-raid setup, you will understand the hate then.
    I'd rather sit on a pile of thumbtacks than dual boot anyway

Leave a comment:

• MageiaFan27
    replied
    Absolutely love Mageia 3

My 2cts:
    No thrills, not whistles but absolutely rock solid!
    Off course not bleeding edge but fairly up to date too!
    best kde distro I know ( way better then mint, kubuntu or whatever)

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    I don't understand the hate for grub2, I've not once had a single problem with it. I rarely have to edit it, but when I do its just a matter of editing /etc/default/grub and running grub-mkconfig
    Try dual booting a dm-raid setup, you will understand the hate then.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I'm not sure what you're doing to need that... grub-mkconfig should automatically detect all your kernels. Unless you don't use the proper `make install` procedure. And the configuration in /etc is there so you could fine-grain what the mkconfig tool does.
    Well, maybe it needs better tutorials / manpages then. And maybe it depends on how distributions implement it. Maybe upstream has reasons to do certain things and e.g. require /etc to be touched and stuff like that but I don't get their point. I still prefer the simplicity of grub1 that just lets me do things in an instant an that seems to be more failsafe.

Leave a comment:

• stqn
    replied
    I also find grub2 too complex and hard to use. I switched to syslinux when Arch deprecated grub1; easy to install and no problem since then.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    I don't understand the hate for grub2, I've not once had a single problem with it. I rarely have to edit it, but when I do its just a matter of editing /etc/default/grub and running grub-mkconfig

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    mouting iso's in a loop? uefi support? a richer feature set?
    Whatever happened to just choosing which kernel to boot into and leaving the bloat out of it?

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    GRUB2 annoys me simply because it takes longer than GRUB legacy to init and then begin rendering the bootloader menu, and then once it has started it's another 2-3 seconds until it's complete, even though most of the menu is just empty space (I only have two entries).

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Grub2 requires me to read manuals, to fiddle around in /etc (WTF has a bootloader to do in f*cking /etc anyway?!!11oneoneeleven), it uses XML style for configs and uses a bazillion of files. Then you have to run update-grub or some other script to make it actually valid and being transferred into the /boot partition. Because you shalt not edit grub.conf directly.
    I'm not sure what you're doing to need that... grub-mkconfig should automatically detect all your kernels. Unless you don't use the proper `make install` procedure. And the configuration in /etc is there so you could fine-grain what the mkconfig tool does.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Mageia 3 Released, Still Using Legacy GRUB
    Thumbs up!

Grub2 is a hate spot for me so I'll be letting off some steam:

Maybe GRUB2 supports EFI partitions and whatsnot. Yes, okay. But it S U C K S !
    In grub1 I can install a new kernel within 30 seconds. nano /boot/grub/grub.conf Ctrl-K a few lines and Ctrl-U and then just modify the bzImage filename and check boot parameters when you use new features in the kernel. Change default (kernel to boot) value if you like. I can do that in 30 seconds.
    And I do that often. (Gentoo)

Grub2 requires me to read manuals, to fiddle around in /etc (WTF has a bootloader to do in f*cking /etc anyway?!!11oneoneeleven), it uses XML style for configs and uses a bazillion of files. Then you have to run update-grub or some other script to make it actually valid and being transferred into the /boot partition. Because you shalt not edit grub.conf directly.

I admit that for some setups it might be okay to be so complex and I honor the new support of filesystems or other stuff but I really hate that it would waste so much time if I'd use it. Also I absolutely do NOT need any graphical bootloader. plain text 80x25, the fastest and most failsafe option that has ever been on earth. Also naming schemes... some things now start with 1 instead of 0 while others still start to count at 0. Why?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X