X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Cyber
    replied
    Originally posted by korrode View Post
    'zomg i do stuff a little different that takes liek 20 seconds to change an existing distro to do... shit, better release my own distro'
    Fenrus Linux is described as having a novel packaging workflow and update mechanism, which one really can't change in about 20 seconds on an existing distro.

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    As if Arch or Gentoo wouldn't cater to anyone this is aimed at.

I'm all for choice, really i am, but sometimes I do have to roll my eyes at every man and his dog releasing a distro.
    Usually it's pointless & completely unnecessary. Rarely does anything get released now that isn't basically the same as an existing distro, perhaps slightly tweaked.
    Thanks for sharing?

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    IMO, this still stands as another unnecessary distribution start-up, further dividing resources.
    This person is an upstream developer. I think we can cut him some slack and let him run his own pet project if he feels like it.

Leave a comment:

• Cyborg16
    replied
    Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
    This certainly looks interesting to me, especially the concepts of automating software packaging. If this can be done reliably, it would give Fenrus a big advantage over other distributions. It also begs the question- if Fenrus can successful tackle these technical issues, would it be a good alternative to more technical distributions like Debian and Arch? If so, it could be a good base for user-friendly distributions, just as Debian is currently the base for Ubuntu.
    Intriguing. But since Debian packages often include custom patches, surely "automated packaging" can't be as good (unless it basically pulls all of these from Debian)?

What do the "deltas" mean in the performance graphs (other than "bigger is better")?

While developing or debugging something on Linux, how often have you gotten frustrated about getting the right debuginfo rpm installed? ... In Fenrus Linux, we use a custom Fuse filesystem that will get any and all debug information you need, on demand, right there when you need it.
    Now, that is innovative.
    Last edited by Cyborg16; 25 March 2013, 04:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• korrode
    replied
    Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
    especially the concepts of automating software packaging. If this can be done reliably, it would give Fenrus a big advantage over other distributions.
    This nonetheless is already being attempted elsewhere. Frugalware Linux is one example.
    IMO, this still stands as another unnecessary distribution start-up, further dividing resources.

As I said in earlier post, I am for choice, and of course people can do as they please, but i still think this whole 'zomg i do stuff a little different that takes liek 20 seconds to change an existing distro to do... shit, better release my own distro' stuff is unproductive at best.

Leave a comment:

• sdhwadfk
    replied
    the person behind this has a forum account called fenrus.

Leave a comment:

• scionicspectre
    replied
    For lower spec machines, the Arch Linux difference is much clearer. For instance, there are some computers I have that run terribly with Kubuntu but run KDE on Arch beautifully. So having a minimal base can go a long way.

This certainly looks interesting to me, especially the concepts of automating software packaging. If this can be done reliably, it would give Fenrus a big advantage over other distributions. It also begs the question- if Fenrus can successful tackle these technical issues, would it be a good alternative to more technical distributions like Debian and Arch? If so, it could be a good base for user-friendly distributions, just as Debian is currently the base for Ubuntu.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    How are the benchmarks to be read?

Leave a comment:

• korrode
    replied
    As if Arch or Gentoo wouldn't cater to anyone this is aimed at.

I'm all for choice, really i am, but sometimes I do have to roll my eyes at every man and his dog releasing a distro.
    Usually it's pointless & completely unnecessary. Rarely does anything get released now that isn't basically the same as an existing distro, perhaps slightly tweaked.

Leave a comment:

• wargames
    replied
    Originally posted by jumico View Post
    I'm not sure arch is as fast as everyone suggests.
    Much faster than Windows 7. But it has the problem the developers of Fenrus mention on their site: package management. I'm sick of reinstalling Libreoffice, and other major apps because someone decides to modify the PKGBUILD to add this or that dependency. They really need to think about incremental updates to the packages.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X