X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fenrus
    replied
    Originally posted by fenrus View Post
    I've been thinking about this, how to fix it, and I haven't figured it out yet. In some way, "-50%" indicates "half as bad", and "+100%" is "twice as high". It also allows me to do math on the data points (the average of 25 fps and 75% fps is 50fps, and that math works also in -50% and +50%)

the primary objective for the graphs (for me at least) is to see if there's a regression, or an improvement, compared to a previous series of builds.
    I do want to keep the graphs useful for that.
    fwiw this linearity is useful, including for the graphing software (R with ggplot2) to calculate and draw the std deviation bars

Leave a comment:

• fenrus
    replied
    Originally posted by juanrga View Post
    My worry was about the non-symmetric nature of the graphs. Google "misleading graphs"!
    I've been thinking about this, how to fix it, and I haven't figured it out yet. In some way, "-50%" indicates "half as bad", and "+100%" is "twice as high". It also allows me to do math on the data points (the average of 25 fps and 75% fps is 50fps, and that math works also in -50% and +50%)

the primary objective for the graphs (for me at least) is to see if there's a regression, or an improvement, compared to a previous series of builds.
    I do want to keep the graphs useful for that.

Leave a comment:

• juanrga
    replied
    Originally posted by randomizer View Post
    Good thing this distro isn't for Average Joe!
    In case that anyone did not notice, there was some sarcasm in the post.

Leave a comment:

• juanrga
    replied
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    it's called marketing
    My worry was about the non-symmetric nature of the graphs. Google "misleading graphs"!

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Originally posted by juanrga View Post
    This means that average Joe will be reading on the graphs that Fenrus is, wow!, 100% faster regarding some test but only a 50% slower regarding another test, and he will be taking Fenrus to be a much faster distro when the reality would be that Fenrus and the other distro are on pair 2:1 vs 1:2 regarding both tests.
    Good thing this distro isn't for Average Joe!

Leave a comment:

• Pallidus
    replied
    Originally posted by mir3x View Post
    But how to install fenrus ? I cannot mount that image or write to dvd cause it has 20Gb ...
    u can't install it only boot and session
    why can't you mount the img, u using vmware? u could always use a 32g usb pen ... he has no servers so he dumped all the software on the img

"This means that average Joe will be reading on the graphs that Fenrus is, wow!, 100% faster regarding some test but only a 50% slower regarding another test, and he will be taking Fenrus to be a much faster distro when the reality would be that Fenrus and the other distro are on pair 2:1 vs 1:2 regarding both tests"

it's called marketing, if he said "hey guys check my linux distro 1111" no one would care but since he has all these graphs that you look and go "no way" many more people will try it.

I still feel it's 2 early for this guy to be pimping this
    Last edited by Pallidus; 26 March 2013, 07:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• juanrga
    replied
    Performance a la Intel

Originally posted by fenrus View Post
    yeah I'll try to clarify the page tonight, clearly it's not well done right/clear enough right now; thanks for the feedback.

let me give a specific (but made up) example.
    Say some test gives frames-per-second (e.g. a higher-is-better test).
    And lets say, Fedora 17 is the best-of-the-rest at 50 frames per second.

If Fenrus Linux would also get 100 FPS, the score would thus be 200%, however, for the purpose of showing a delta, 100% is subtracted (hence the "delta") and the score will 'only' be "100%" in the graph.
    If Fenrus Linux would get 25 FPS, the score would be 50%, but the delta would be 50% - 100% = -50% in the graph.
    Several people is here complaining why you are using this method.

Well, your combination of a percentage with a baseline has a very interesting result for a distro marketed "for performance". If Fenrus is twice faster than distro B then the graph reads 100%, but if the distro B is twice faster than Fenrus the graph reads -50% (instead of -100%).

This means that average Joe will be reading on the graphs that Fenrus is, wow!, 100% faster regarding some test but only a 50% slower regarding another test, and he will be taking Fenrus to be a much faster distro when the reality would be that Fenrus and the other distro are on pair 2:1 vs 1:2 regarding both tests.
    Last edited by juanrga; 25 March 2013, 07:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mir3x
    replied
    But how to install fenrus ? I cannot mount that image or write to dvd cause it has 20Gb ...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ryao View Post
    If I recall, the person behind this has a forum account called fenrus. Anyway, he should look into using ZFS and DTrace.
    What for? I can agree (in some part) for zfs, but who needs dtrace?

Leave a comment:

• fenrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    waste of time

this thing is as alpha as alpha gets

why the fuck is it being promoted in phoronix since it's like 2 years away from being anything decent?

a better question

why is intel wasting time experimenting with distros and packages, should be working on the drivers that's what they should be doing, bunch of good for nothings, hey ive me 70% of thw windows driver performance and I won't complain no more
    since you claim it is alpha... I assume you tried it?

you did not read the website though since this is not an Intel project.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X