No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Developing Its Own Calculator, Calendar, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously people, if you don't want to understand the problems Canonical is causing to the GNU/Linux environment, i won't waste any more time. I have made my points, and they should be clear to anyone without an agenda...

Comment

It begins.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
        It begins.
        Just now?

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
          It begins.
          Indeed...

Plenty of open, community governed standards have been complete rubbish... Then someone with actual vision and talent comes along and decides to create standards that don't suck, and all of the old hats whine about how they should've been contributing to the established standards (without handing over leadership, of course). Then the old standard quickly becomes obsolete in favor of the new, better standard, and all that's left is a bunch of trolls whining about what could've been, or how it used to be back in the day....

It's a shame that Red Hat never cared about making Linux for consumers... They instead chose to make Fedora their bleeding-edge, unstable testbed for Red Hat, had they made any attempt to penetrate the "normal people" market, then there might be somebody to balance out Canonical's undeniable leadership today... What a pity...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Seriously people, if you don't want to understand the problems Canonical is causing to the GNU/Linux environment, i won't waste any more time. I have made my points, and they should be clear to anyone without an agenda...
            The dignified exit of someone who has given up on his side of the debate, just like a politician

Comment

I'm looking forward to the all new Ubuntu Even Opener Office!

Seriously, I AM looking forward to these new app designs.
              Ubuntu at least has designers whose works exhibit flair (if not always consistency, or good usability practicies).
              Of course, I want this to inform Gnome, but I fear that won't happen until a "restructuring" occurs.
              I really wish there was a desktop that had a vision similar to mine...
              Damn, now I feel like I'M pearl-clutching (I think I've been following the Mir/Wayland spat too closely...BTW, YES, that is how they are to be ordered from now on!).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                Seriously, I AM looking forward to these new app designs.
                Ubuntu at least has designers whose works exhibit flair (if not always consistency, or good usability practicies).
                Of course, I want this to inform Gnome, but I fear that won't happen until a "restructuring" occurs.
                I really wish there was a desktop that had a vision similar to mine...
                Damn, now I feel like I'M pearl-clutching (I think I've been following the Mir/Wayland spat too closely...BTW, YES, that is how they are to be ordered from now on!).
                I'm sorry, I'm not sure what "spat" you're referring to. Are you perhaps talking about the Wayland/Mir controversy?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  While I am very disquieted and concerned about much of Canonical's recent efforts, this is not one of them. I honestly do not care at all if the are working on another calculator.
                  Exactly. This kind of thing makes sense. Mir does not.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Another python fanboi. I understand that you like the language. But it's a pig. It takes 15 seconds to start the damn software center. And the HDD works like crazy. And CPU shoots up in the sky. And memory. God it takes 100 MB of RAM. Stop with the virtual machine bullshit. It's slow and inefficient. Bad language. Bad bad bad. And now they're teaching it everywhere since it's simple....God another generation of shitty programmers who thing it's acceptable to take 50 MB with a damn calculator... Don't even begin to compare it with C++.
                    Of course, Google uses Python extensively(alongside C and C++), but I'm sure that you know so much better than Google how to write massively performant applications on an epic scale, right? For that matter, so does RedHat. You should apply for a job at Google so you can show them how it's done, I'm sure you're quite L337 and have a distinguished resume, LMAO.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Another python fanboi. I understand that you like the language. But it's a pig. It takes 15 seconds to start the damn software center. And the HDD works like crazy. And CPU shoots up in the sky. And memory. God it takes 100 MB of RAM. Stop with the virtual machine bullshit. It's slow and inefficient. Bad language. Bad bad bad. And now they're teaching it everywhere since it's simple....God another generation of shitty programmers who thing it's acceptable to take 50 MB with a damn calculator... Don't even begin to compare it with C++.
                      How many times do you need to be told to stop talking about things you do not understand? Or at least do some research first.
                      While the software centre is written with Python it uses mostly C libraries to do any of the real work. For example GTK+ is used for the GUI and Xapian for search capabilities.

If you look at the bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/845579
                      You will see that Xapian calls are responsible for around 25% of load time (possibly more as this is just for loading the top rated content) Xapian is a highly optimised C library with nothing to do with Python. My theory is that Xapian is possibly being used in an inefficient way but I’m not going to learn how to it works just to fix this for Canonical as once again this project is covered by the CLA.

Most libraries that need speed in Python are actually written in C and just provide a way for Python to hook in. That said I don’t used Python and don’t even like it all that much, it just gets to me when people assume things then spread FUD that other people then take as fact. Do your research first then join the conversation.
                      Last edited by timothyja; 12 March 2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X