X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    That's interesting, wouldn't it be possible to do it the other way round, then - export TMP or TMPDIR as /tmp/tmp and set /tmp/tmp as tmpfs, while leaving /tmp as regular space for all those poorly designed programs out there?
    that's insane, reread what you just typed

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    As a sidenote, I find it very inconvenient that this plugin won't listen to TMP or TMPDIR variables (last time I checked). Then I could have fixed it whilst keeping /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem...
    That's interesting, wouldn't it be possible to do it the other way round, then - export TMP or TMPDIR as /tmp/tmp and set /tmp/tmp as tmpfs, while leaving /tmp as regular space for all those poorly designed programs out there?

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    And there is always the option to, you know, not to mount /tmp as tmpfs. The /etc/fstab file and all.
    That is exactly what I did. However, I expected that Adobe Flash misbehaving in this regard would be a prime argument. And I'm suprised this was not (explicitly) mentioned.

Like it or not, it's still integrated in many sites :/ . And most of the time, the functionality it provides can be replaced by a gif file (like ads). Or a somewhat more advanced webpage using JS and the like. The fact that YouTube is migrating to html5 is a really good thing, I hope that many will follow soon. That will effectively extend the lifetime of my old HW since HTML5 is accelerated by the GPU whilst Flash generally is not...

As a sidenote, I find it very inconvenient that this plugin won't listen to TMP or TMPDIR variables (last time I checked). Then I could have fixed it whilst keeping /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem...
    Last edited by Rexilion; 08 December 2012, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Nooo, if I can replace Adobe Flash I will gladly do. I'am against replacing a functioning machine to accomodate Adobe Flash misbehaving in tmpfs. A bigger RAM would mitigate the problem, while it's not really necessary.
    And there is always the option to, you know, not to mount /tmp as tmpfs. The /etc/fstab file and all.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Wait, so you're against replacing Adobe Flash (the "misdesigned software"), and against replacing the hardware. I'm afraid there are no other options left...
    Nooo, if I can replace Adobe Flash I will gladly do. I'am against replacing a functioning machine to accomodate Adobe Flash misbehaving in tmpfs. A bigger RAM would mitigate the problem, while it's not really necessary.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Still, as a response to your post, I'm against replacing perfectly working computer hardware to accomodate misdesigned software! And if I was a REAL laggard and wanted to stick with whatever I had, I would have had a typewriter. It's state of the art: Printer and screen IN ONE! :P .
    Wait, so you're against replacing Adobe Flash (the "misdesigned software"), and against replacing the hardware. I'm afraid there are no other options left...

Leave a comment:

• lsatenstein
    replied
    Simpler English

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora 18 Will Stick To Using Tmpfs

It was decided at today's FESCo meeting to not disable the mounting of /tmp as a tmpfs file-system by default for the forthcoming Fedora 18 Linux release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0MzY
    ==
    If I understand this, tmpfs is ram, /tmp will be mounted to ram (as does Debian) /tmp contents will be erased after each boot. It is a scratch pad area.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by disi View Post
    My AMD netbook, from 1.5 years ago, has 4GB RAM... actual my telephone has 512MB memory. Yes, it will happen that older hardware is not running smoothly with newer software.

Linux distributions have usually a much better support for older hardware, but at some stage it is better to use the more performant solution for most currently used hardware. There are lots of distribution which even still ship i386 binaries... maybe looking into something like that helps.
    You are right that it's old hardware which should be replaced in the near future. Fun fact: Next year, there will be tablets that are faster than this box.

But, this post does not have the intention to say: You should support really old hardware. In fact, Adobe already effectively stopped releasing Adobe Flash for this generation of hardware by including SSE2 instruction that are not supported by it's CPU.

My post was about the fact that *none* of the objections are about misbehaving pieces of software. It is mentioned as an argument that there *could* be misbehaving software. But no one is mentioning Flash Player, and THAT suprises me.

I'm just saying that Adobe is (apparently) placing the files in an incorrect location. Using tmpfs as /tmp makes matters much worse for misbehaving software.

Still, as a response to your post, I'm against replacing perfectly working computer hardware to accomodate misdesigned software! And if I was a REAL laggard and wanted to stick with whatever I had, I would have had a typewriter. It's state of the art: Printer and screen IN ONE! :P .
    Last edited by Rexilion; 07 December 2012, 12:27 PM. Reason: Giving explicit reason for my previous post

Leave a comment:

• disi
    replied
    Adobe Flash easily stuffs 300MB+ files inside /tmp/, the files are called flash-* (if I remember correctly). Took me 10 minutes to figure out why my parents computer (512MB of RAM) kept crashing once they were watching the national tv archive.

Every 20 minutes the darned thing would crash because Adobe puts temporary files inside /tmp whenever it is streaming over RTMP (I think). Youtube vids don't suffer from this problem. The size of these things can go over 700MB easily (high quality video).

I'm really suprised no one ever mentioned this before!
    My AMD netbook, from 1.5 years ago, has 4GB RAM... actual my telephone has 512MB memory. Yes, it will happen that older hardware is not running smoothly with newer software.

Linux distributions have usually a much better support for older hardware, but at some stage it is better to use the more performant solution for most currently used hardware. There are lots of distribution which even still ship i386 binaries... maybe looking into something like that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Adobe Flash player misbehaves in this regard

Adobe Flash easily stuffs 300MB+ files inside /tmp/, the files are called flash-* (if I remember correctly). Took me 10 minutes to figure out why my parents computer (512MB of RAM) kept crashing once they were watching the national tv archive.

Every 20 minutes the darned thing would crash because Adobe puts temporary files inside /tmp whenever it is streaming over RTMP (I think). Youtube vids don't suffer from this problem. The size of these things can go over 700MB easily (high quality video).

I'm really suprised no one ever mentioned this before!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X