X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Ubuntu isn't about having the most compatible and resource friendly system, its about making linux a deskop PC.
    IMHO, Canonical's inspiration is Android. Android is all about the commercialization of Linux. The Android ecosystem pushes its own agenda, does things its own way, and contributes upstream only ween its business model deems it necessary or required. Canonical wants a Desktop version of Android. That's where the money is.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
    I do love customization options so I can set up things just the way I like them. Does that mean I should stay away from Unity and GNOME?
    If you want a lot of customization go for KDE,you can't get much more in-depth than that. KDE even allows some program specific customizations.

Leave a comment:

• F i L
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
    I do love customization options so I can set up things just the way I like them. Does that mean I should stay away from Unity and GNOME?
    Gnome is fairly customizable (see https://extensions.gnome.org/). Unity, however, is not. That doesn't mean Unity is bad, it works for a lot of people (not that I'm a huge fan of it either).

Leave a comment:

• FutureSuture
    replied

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Bullshit. It couldn't even handle GIMP properly and to enable compositions you had to edit text files (stupidness of gnome). It looses with kwin and xfce WM as well.
    That is correct btw. Configuration has always been as ugly as fsck on gnome.

BTW, debian here with (old revision of) compiz. I had zero crashes or graphical glitches.....!

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Maybe I'm too much paranoid, but Canonical decisons about Ubuntu make me think it is a conspiracy plan to destroy Linux.

Things are done too bad in the basic common sense way, even if they don't have so much qualified developers in the team.

That's why somewhat improved "forks" like Linux Mint work better than Ubuntu..
    Working with valve to get games on Linux, does not look like an smart way to kill Linux....

Leave a comment:

• bkor
    replied
    Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
    You're thinking of the Miguel De Icaza and the GNOME design team.
    You're just making it really obvious that you know nothing about GNOME (during 2.x and 3.x timeframe).

Leave a comment:

• glasen
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    [..] some people are actively trying to kill linux desktop.
    People like you?

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Maybe I'm too much paranoid, but Canonical decisons about Ubuntu make me think it is a conspiracy plan to destroy Linux.

Things are done too bad in the basic common sense way, even if they don't have so much qualified developers in the team.

That's why somewhat improved "forks" like Linux Mint work better than Ubuntu..
    That's just too bit paranoid. Ubuntu with cooperation with VALVE and nVIDIA should become quite solid system (but I think KDE and Cinnamon are far better). However, if there's someone that wants Linux to be killed it's Icaza and some idiots from gnome camp who do everything to make gnome unusable.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by talvik View Post
    Metacity is the most reliable WM on Linux. It's the WM with the best behavior and compatibility with apps and toolkits (probably because everyone targets it).
    Bullshit. It couldn't even handle GIMP properly and to enable compositions you had to edit text files (stupidness of gnome). It looses with kwin and xfce WM as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X