Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Release Of AppStream-Core

Phoronix: The First Release Of AppStream-Core

The first release of AppStream-Core is now available, which provides support for creating the AppStream database and accessing it via a GObject-based interface. This basically comes down to the simple creation of "Software Centers" for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i sincerely hope this is usable in time for opensuse 12.3 (presumed March 2013).

Comment

PackageKit?

PackageKit?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
        i sincerely hope this is usable in time for opensuse 12.3 (presumed March 2013).
        im pretty sure there's gonna be a " Software Centre " in Gnome3.8 . perhaps this Appstream is gonna be it. it should work side by side to PackageKit

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          im pretty sure there's gonna be a " Software Centre " in Gnome3.8 . perhaps this Appstream is gonna be it. it should work side by side to PackageKit
          Appstream from what I've read elsewhere is essentially a packagekit plugin that does stuff like collating packages into applications, and hooks into an OCS server for ratings and stuff, among other things, and essentially is part of Project Bretzn coming to fruition.

Hopefully openSUSE will actually fix their packagekit backend so it's not still borked in 12.3 though so that it'll be useful there too...
          Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 03 October 2012, 08:27 PM.

Comment

And in typical Canonical fashion, it's a mix of Vala and C++ =P
            nice!

Comment

Is this just another layer on top of the many layers we already have?? And as far as i understand it it doesn't solve the problem with the big number or package formats.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Is this just another layer on top of the many layers we already have?? And as far as i understand it it doesn't solve the problem with the big number or package formats.
                Where does it say it's supposed to? =O And AFAIK there's just 2 or 3 major package formats out there anyway.
                The way I see it this is just an effort to bring USC goodness to other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  And in typical Canonical fashion, it's a mix of Vala and C++ =P
                  nice!
                  Actually, GNOME seem to prefer Vala.
                  Canonical seem to prefer Python and Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Actually, GNOME seem to prefer Vala.
                    Canonical seem to prefer Python and Qt.
                    Well that's a weird claim, considering their Unity interface too is written in C++/Vala,
                    and uses things like glib and sigc++.

Comment

Working...
                    X