Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Tries For Last Minute GRUB 2.00

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Tries For Last Minute GRUB 2.00

Developers working on Ubuntu 12.10 are now past feature-freeze and the beta has already shipped, but they are hoping to pull in the official release of the GRUB 2.00 boot-loader prior to the October debut of the Quantal Quetzal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Grub 2.00 is much better than 1.99 - i really miss that it is not even in Debian experimental. Very interesting however that it would appear in Ubuntu first...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Grub 2.00 is much better than 1.99 - i really miss that it is not even in Debian experimental. Very interesting however that it would appear in Ubuntu first...
      Didn't they have trouble with the license and Secure Boot or something like that??

Comment

It's in Debian Sid. But ya it is better and I'm surprised Ubuntu didn't adopt it years ago.

Comment

You dream too much.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            It's in Debian Sid. But ya it is better and I'm surprised Ubuntu didn't adopt it years ago.
            Grub2 != GRUB2 2.0

Comment

None of those is a 2.00 build. They're all various 1.99s.

This does seem pretty late, for Ubuntu. They're carrying a ton of patches against 1.99 which don't apply easily against 2.00. It'll be interesting to see if they can get that all sorted out in time without losing any functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                None of those is a 2.00 build. They're all various 1.99s.
                He was pointing that out to schmidtbag.

Comment

So this will fix the large disks issue, but the hot issue of the day is secure boot. The boot loader will still be playing catch up for a while

Comment

Common for Ubuntu is usually to backport software versions to work with older dependencies... I used grub2 for over a year without problems so far on other distributions.

Comment

Working...
                    X