Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoupling GCC From Debian By Using LLVM/Clang

Phoronix: Decoupling GCC From Debian By Using LLVM/Clang

Back in March it was shared that LLVM's Clang compiler can build much of the Debian archive. This week at DebConf a status update was shared on using LLVM/Clang as an alternative compiler to GCC within Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which 12% won't build? Is it possible to build a system that boots and is functional with just Clang?

Comment

This is exactly what we are doing in Gentoo:

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Which 12% won't build? Is it possible to build a system that boots and is functional with just Clang?
      Is it even possible to build Debian from source code as an end user?

GRUB makes heavy use of nested functions, which makes it impossible to build with Clang without doing a complete rewrite. Then there are other issues with glibc and a few other core packages. This is from my experience with Gentoo.
      Last edited by ryao; 11 July 2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Linux kernel

Can Clang/LLVM build an unpatched mainline Linux kernel yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post

GRUB makes heavy use of nested functions, which makes it impossible to build with Clang without doing a complete rewrite. Then there are other issues with glibc and a few other core packages. This is from my experience with Gentoo.
          Of COURSE its possible. If THEY can build it, ANYONE can build it.

Comment

You can use apt-build to do so.

Comment

If Clang can't handle deeply nested functions that sounds like a bug to me and that the LLVM/Clang developers should address that issue as well as meshing with the existing glibc or providing the necessary patches to glibc that allow LLVM/Clang to build it yet not prevent other compilers from building it

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Can Clang/LLVM build an unpatched mainline Linux kernel yet?
                AFAICT it can't. If Clang can build a kernel without requiring patches to the kernel sources that's the best thing

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  If Clang can't handle deeply nested functions that sounds like a bug to me
                  No it's not, nested functions are a gcc extension.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    If Clang can't handle deeply nested functions that sounds like a bug to me and that the LLVM/Clang developers should address that issue as well as meshing with the existing glibc or providing the necessary patches to glibc that allow LLVM/Clang to build it yet not prevent other compilers from building it
                    The fact that there is nesting is the issue, not the depth of it. The issue is that nested functions are illegal in both C and C++.

Comment

Working...
                    X