Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

Phoronix: Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

While there's still more than one month until the Ubuntu 12.10 feature freeze, Canonical/Ubuntu developers continue to work towards their concept of having Wayland serve as a system compositor for this next Ubuntu Linux release due out in October, but will they make it?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course 12.10 is too late. Hopefully they will have something working by the time of 13.04.

Comment

Yet MORE unproven elements, Canonical?

I get the sinking feeling that this is going to be PulseAudio all over again.

Comment

I doubt they will be able to deliver something like that for 12.10. 13.04 maybe 13.10 more like it.

What i am most curious about is how they will manage to pull the whole seamless boot thing.

Comment

I have little confidence in Canonical's ability to deliver. With Unity I went from a smooth desktop to a cluster-f (and I don't mean the actual look and feel, I mean tearing, performance problems, graphics corruptions, crashes, shit-that-just-plain-don't-work, etc.). I can't wait to see what we're going to get when they throw this XWayland into the mix.

Because if there's one thing we need, it's one more layer of disaster that every app has to wade through.

Comment

Here's how their seamless boot works in 12.04.

After bios, black screen for 5s.
            Plymouth splash shows itself for 0.7s.
            LightDM login screen.

I'm no UI designer, but something about that black/plymouth time ratio seems off

Comment

Being skeptical of engineering timelines is one thing, but it sounds like you guys just want Canonical to fail.

Comment

I noticed the Wayland mailing list stagnated a lot.
                For a long time there were like 10-30 messages a day, now it's between 1-10 a day, or none, even during non-weekends. Are they preparing some major release behind the scene or gone on vacation..?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

LightDM login screen.

I'm no UI designer, but something about that black/plymouth time ratio seems off
                  That's what I see too. In the grand scheme of things, I don't worry about boot display. All I care about is that when booting is done, I am looking at a working desktop or login screen. I don't reboot often enough to care what it looks like.

Seems pretty brave to hope for 12.10. Would probably help make 13.04 better though.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

LightDM login screen.

I haven't look extensively in it but i am not sure there is a solution for avoiding the black screen after the bios screen.

And yes it looks bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X