Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Wrestling: Fedora 17 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: ARM Wrestling: Fedora 17 vs. Ubuntu Linux

When it comes to operating systems for the TI OMAP4 PandaBoard and PandaBoard ES, Ubuntu Linux is usually the winner for several reasons. However, with last month's release of Fedora 17 for ARM, how is the Red Hat sponsored distribution running on these ARM development boards? Here's an overview of my experiences when running the latest Ubuntu and Fedora releases on the ARM Cortex A9 development hardware along with Arch Linux. There are also benchmarks comparing the ARM Linux performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to consider ARM attractive

I used to be very interested in ARM and looking forward to it on the desktop and finding it very attractive.

But now Microsoft requires that all computers shipped with the Windows 8 logo compliance will come with Secure Boot enabled with no way to disable it.

So now, I think ARM is boring shit.
    I am sticking with x86.
    One can only hope we will see more POWER, SPARC and MIPS.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I used to be very interested in ARM and looking forward to it on the desktop and finding it very attractive.

But now Microsoft requires that all computers shipped with the Windows 8 logo compliance will come with Secure Boot enabled with no way to disable it.
      That's funny, because ARM devices have been locked down for YEARS, and apparently no one cared until now.

Comment

Working...
      X