X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by beniwtv View Post
    Also, keep in mind, that the Natty "release" is not the "end all".

Unity can still receive stability and bug-fix updates after Natty is released, just like other software packages.
    So Ubuntu should become Windows where nobody upgrades until SP1? Good grief...

Leave a comment:

• bluestealth
    replied
    Originally posted by beniwtv View Post

Unity can still receive stability and bug-fix updates after Natty is released, just like other software packages.
    I realize this, but 11.04 has got to be the roughest Ubuntu builds I have ever used. I get the feeling that they are trying to push new technology at a great cost to usability. With their plans for perhaps including Wayland in the fall, I just don't see the situation getting better on that front. Its not that I don't like using cool new unstable features, since I do. I just don't think they should come stock.

Leave a comment:

• beniwtv
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bluestealth
    replied
    Originally posted by virtualspectre8 View Post
    You'll see, they won't default to classic Gnome. Unity is not that broken.
    Having used it for several weeks before switching to Fedora 15... it is... Mutter might be slow, but it works better.

Leave a comment:

• leif81
    replied
    Would be a great opportunity for gnome-shell to generate even more interest on Ubuntu

Leave a comment:

• 3rdalbum
    replied
    Don't delay it

It would probably be a mistake to delay the Unity desktop to 11.10. What would the changelog be for 11.04; "Gnome now has a global menu and some programs have had a version bump, the end"?.

The Unity developers are still working hard pushing in new features. I submitted a bug report for "Alt-F2 doesn't open apturls" a couple of days ago, and today the Unity Alt-F2 function will now open any kind of URL. If you've noticed a bug or a missing feature, you might still be able to report it and get it fixed before release.

Leave a comment:

• TiMiD
    replied
    They should default to KDE

Leave a comment:

• virtualspectre8
    replied
    You'll see, they won't default to classic Gnome. Unity is not that broken.

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    Why does Ubuntu always have to fix things in time? Haters won't get to whine about how awful it is then :\

Myself, there's still ample time to go to fix things in Unity... I'll be switching it it permanently (trying in beta right now).

Leave a comment:

• mykro76
    replied
    good idea

While the progress of Unity has been impressive, it doesn't feel quite ready. I still get the odd exception with Natty b1, and some of the UI needs fine-tuning. I usually revert to the classic desktop even on a netbook. I think it needs another 6 months as the default desktop for all the Ocelot alphas to really bake in. When you think about it, that's nothing - it took nine years for Gnome 3 to be ready.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X