Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Linux 11.0 LiveDVD Released

Phoronix: Gentoo Linux 11.0 LiveDVD Released

While stable, tagged releases really aren't important to Gentoo users due to its rolling-release model, a Gentoo 11.0 LiveDVD was released today by its developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As the article mentioned, the Live CDs are pretty useless because you can install Gentoo from any LiveCD (even Ubuntu). The only use I've had for the Gentoo LiveCD was to install Gentoo, which I now do with System Rescue CD which is based on Gentoo and updated a lot more often.

It also has some really nice tools for fixing stuff and disk management.

Comment

While this is probably more fully featured, I think most Gentoo Linux users will stick to System Rescue CD:

It is Gentoo based and does not require a DVD drive. It has far more tools than the past official official LiveDVDs and it is easy to put it on a USB key.

Comment

You can and should use Calculate Linux or even Sabayon for installs. Or even any other distro. Gentoo determines itself as meta-distribution. Within "meta" there is no Gentoo LiveCD, there is "LiveCD based on Gentoo". But label "official" fixes it

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
          I've had for the Gentoo LiveCD was to install Gentoo, which I now do with System Rescue CD which is based on Gentoo and updated a lot more often.

It also has some really nice tools for fixing stuff and disk management.
          The new Gentoo LiveDVD includes more up to date packages than on sysrescuecd as of this moment and it's using ~arch packages and contains all the disk management tools you need.

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          It is Gentoo based and does not require a DVD drive. It has far more tools than the past official official LiveDVDs and it is easy to put it on a USB key.
          This liveDVD image (iso image) can boot from any removable device out the box like a USB key without the need for unetbootin.

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          You can and should use Calculate Linux or even Sabayon for installs. Or even any other distro. Gentoo determines itself as meta-distribution. Within "meta" there is no Gentoo LiveCD, there is "LiveCD based on Gentoo". But label "official" fixes it
          The LiveDVD it's meant to supply users with ability to test out the latest testing packages in Gentoo to decide if it's right for them, or simply to have a full blown desktop environment or window manager with 3d acceleration (optional) while installing Gentoo. We still recommend users to install from the minimal installcds as the LiveDVD is just a showcase of the portage tree since it's comes with over 1700 packages.

Comment

Too bad updates are betting there slower and slower since 3 years or so. It's still my favorite by far. My 32bit install is 6 years old and my 64bit is 3. They are both up to date, clean and perfectly working while being tweaked for near perfection for everything I do with a computer. Portage is still by far the most flexible package manager.

I would like to see some new features, like prefixed subsystem managed by portage, per subsystem USE and CFLAGS/LDFLAGS, package profiling and support for LLVM.

Right now I have to manage my subsystem less or more by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
              I would like to see some new features, like prefixed subsystem managed by portage, per subsystem USE and CFLAGS/LDFLAGS...
              Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it's been able to do that for years. Do you know about ROOT and PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT? And of course, there's always chroot.

Comment

Of course the live DVD is just a showpiece. I wouldn't call it a great showpiece either as Gentoo's performance won't be shown. Probably most useful thing about the LiveDVD is it will show you how well your hardware is supported.

The real benefits of Gentoo are speed gained by tuning it to your machine and the things you learn from the install experience.

Comment

Working...
                X